Announcement: Free video one can use to explain hand engraving.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It is not my attempt to re-open a discussion on traditional tools versus using power assisted tools. However if explained well to your customers what hand engraving is about, I think both ways will be appreciated by your customers.
And yes I know there are a lot of videos showing “engravingâ€￾ but most of them are done for engravers, not for most of my or your customers who do not know what engraving is about.

This video by Chris DeCamillis is free to use.

arnaud

[video=youtube;ImflDQmGhew]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImflDQmGhew&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Have you got a link?
If I understand, it is a video that would serve customers to understand what they are getting into when they are looking at engraving.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
When dealing with a customer it's hand engraving, I never mention power assisted or traditional tools,the only thing I do talk to a customer about is design, scrolls, game scenes,price,deposit and time.I also show my website and samples of my engraving,that's it.Keep it simple,I only talk to students about power assisted & traditional tools. J.J.

JJ Roberts

bram,No feeling hurt here,I started with H&C and bruin back in early 70's still use bruin for game scenes on guns and knifes.When it comes to scrolls and background removeable I use power assisted,I teach power assisted & traditional in my class,stundents can bring any tools they like Im here to guide them in the right direction.Do you want to engrave for a hobby or is it business?this is what I ask students,where in my class, every thing engraving is covered whether it about doing business,websites,gun or jewlery shows and dealing with customers.Also have respect for my fellow engravers in Europe and the long apprenticeship they go through,also explained to students. J.J.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JJ, seems you you do not have curious customers, mine always ask about the how I do it and saying, "Ha, you do that with a Dremmel tool and bur" do you think I should confirm that to make it more easy for me?

arnaud

JJ Roberts

Arnaud,There no reason to sit down and talk engraving technique with a customer,I tell them it's hand engraving,that all they have to know about.If you have that kind of time to spend,go for it. J.J.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JJ, yes I always make time for that when customers are interested in the crafts. And if you think about that, sure it is about promoting engraving, and I think we all can use that.
As I said before; my bench isn't hidden in the back of my shop, people just walk into my working place that is my shop too.
Could be a difference in culture, here people always want to know and learn new things, just telling them it is hand engraving, they have no idea and ask about it.

arnaud

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I find that the customer likes to see it first hand. They always say "I didn't know that's how it was done".

JJ Roberts

When Im at a gun show I do a demonstration with a bruin,only talk power with students.J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors