Question: for the silversmiths

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
I know I ask a lot of questions , but what better way to learn. OK I apparently am going to have some issues with using my stainless for my buckles that I want to heavily engrave. I have had very little experience with silver, so my question is what's the best way to attach the hardware on the back of a silver belt buckle? Please if you have any tips on certain kinds of silver that are better for making buckles let me know. If you have pics to show of the backs of buckles you have made show them if you don't mind. Thanks again .

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, "real" silver solder is best, note I said real silver solder not Stay-Brite or gun sight solder. The super low temp solders will work but will never match silver solder.Silver solder comes in different heat melt temps from easy flow to hard, but all require much more heat than a silver bearing substitute.

I am sure you will get other opinions about low temp solders so read them all and make your choice.

Good luck
scott99

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Also remember that the joints have to be flush before soldering. Solder is not meant to fill large gaps - that will only make the joint weak.

I reckon if you seach on the forum for silver soldering you will come up with a few more tips.

Roger

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Jared

There is a great web site from a Jeweler in England do a search for AtTheBench It is a subscription site which I have subscribed and it is a excellant sit for learning a number of gold and Silversmith techniques. Check it out if you cannot find it let me know

Sponsors