FN side by side shotty.

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
friend of mine in the gun club sent me some pics of this reciever. its a old FN reciever and he thinks its factory engraved.

anyone recognize this handy work?

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
I cannot tell your friend who engraved the FN, however the photo shows much about the action. It is a second best quality FN as demonstrated by the flat back action and the through hole in the action bottom for the barrel lump. It has a Purdey style third fastner and striker discs that that do not show wear or tampering. The screws including the hinge pin screw are off center showing that sometime in its past someone has been into the action. There is hardly any wear on the action no visible rust or pitting at the back of the sidelock plates. It was likely built for pigeon shooting or distance shooting with heavier loads, hence the third fasterner. Likely weighs about 7 pounds 4 ounces, with 30 inch barrrels.

The ejector trip arms extending through the front of the action knuckle are a bit of a mystery however. Mystery only in that I do not see enough of them in the photo to determine whose design cartridge ejector system the gunmaker used for this fine gun.

Lovely well made gun that deserves the best care. I hope the barrels and stock are in similar condition.

Best Regards

Steve

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is the style and quality of engraving I love to see on a shotgun! Is it for sale by any chance?

BTW, I have never heard the word "shotty" used to describe a shotgun. Is that a Mississippi thing?

Roger

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
The engraving style of this gun is typical of Felix Funken, who headed engraving at FN 1945-1960. I searched my copy of the Browning superposed book today, to see if perhaps one of the Browning guns done by Felix had the particular scene on the right sidelock plate of this side x side gun. No luck. But there are photos of Browning superposed that Felix engraved with the floral pattern of this gun.

If the proof marks on the barrel flats of this FN side x side gun indicate that the gun was made and proofed between 1945-1960, it could be a Felix Funken engraving. Look closely around the trigger guard for his initials. The engraving is fairly well done, but there are some elbows in the work that do not measure up to a Felix Funk engraving. More likely one of the 100's of engravers who trained under Felix.

Steve

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
a very nice dragon belching out scroll flames. sure is a nice one.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
While the work looks like Funken's style, Most of his work is signed with FFunken, the first F being reversed. On the custom jobs he engraved his signature and on the Browning pattern jobs he used a stamp, as indicated by the examples below.

Also a picture of the master.

Attachments

• Felix Funken-2.jpg
    Felix Funken-2.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 137
  • Felix Funken eng-sig.jpg
    Felix Funken eng-sig.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 136
  • Félix Funken 1888-1965.jpg
    Félix Funken 1888-1965.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 134

Latest posts