Fleur de lys shading exercise

mrthe

Hey Sam thank you very much! i will try to make it! your shading is superb and for me is very helpfull this type of exercise,will be possible in the future a little training pack with a little casting too maybe with the same design with 2 or 3 examples? i think that will be a great learning tool!

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not that I’m that fast, as Sam only got this posted today.
But I had a “Deja Vue” about this, so I went searching a bit and I already did one when I first started learning engraving using this forum.
Sure I’m getting older and slower, but perhaps others might as well isn’t it Sam.

Mine is still online and was posted 10-31-2008.

I’m quite sure I can do better now, but anyway, I thought showing some of my first steps would be fun. At least I must admit that these shading exercises at that time helped me a lot to study, and sure they still do. Thanks for that for now and back then.

I also found Sam's one he did back in 2008, if permitted I will post.

arnaud

Last edited:

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Sam,

I downloaded the EPS file and went to print it out and it prints almost transparent? What can I do to it in Photoshop to darken it?

Donny

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Donny: You will get far better results printing it from vector software instead of Photoshop.

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
Here is the file as a postscript PDF, Donny. Use Acrobat and you can size it and print it at any size without quality degradation. Enjoy! (Sam, I hope you don't mind my changing the format - and Thank you again, Sam!)
scottd.

Download the PDF here.

To download: Right-click and "save target as"
To open in a browser: click link above

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good idea big, converting it into a pdf file for those who don't have vector software. A pdf file always work

arnaud

Sam

Staff member
Good idea with the PDF. It prints the correct size and is razor sharp. I'll try to remember this next time. I've never output on as a PDF before. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you gentlemen....I have Illustrator but have almost no idea how to use it...I usually just hand draw what I am going to work on then scan size to fit in Photoshop and print on acetate and go...BUT as I am getting into finer engraving I'm trying to increase my computer skills to get better artwork for transfers to be nicer.

My greatest problem is the lines are to thick...

Donny

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
OK I got it to print from both files now using Illustrator....... wasn't the ink :) Arnaud but my wife got a chuckle out of that!!!

Donny

ivar

I brought a new Graver Mach AT with hand palm 901 hand pice. I saw that Sam posted a picture of Fleur de Lys, for shading practice, so I took a silver plate and tried my new macine. I feel very good en graving with the palm pice, but I was always puting my foot down when I was graving

Sam

Staff member
Congrats on your new Gravermach, Ivar. You're off to a good start with it. I'm happy to see you complete this exercise!

~Sam

g.rohrbaugh

Elite Cafe Member
gary.jpg

This is my first post in months, after an injury to my hand kept me from doing any engraving.

I'd like to thank Sam for the Fleur de lys exercise.

Sam's shading is so superb and I'm striving to
get close to that.

Thanks again,
Gary

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gary. You are making very nice headway in your engraving endeavors. Keep up the good work.

If I may add a critique...your shade lines have nice consistent spacing and the cuts have good control of direction. However, try working on tapering the depth more. It appears the shade lines are all the same width and depth. To get the 3d effect/illusion, you've got to gradually taper the lines from just barely dragging the heel, slowly raising the wrist to get the point to dig in.

If I recall, you are using a lindsay airgraver. Use the stroke adjustment collar. It will really help you achieve the very fine work. You want to screw the collar back towards the handle to cover up the vent holes. This shortens/lightens the stroke and will really help with these fine cuts.

When I want to practice my shading I do a little exercise where I cut a straight line across a practice plate. I then try to make shade strokes on both sides of the line so that I have line curling into the "backbone" from a clockwise and counterclockwise direction. After I cut a few inches of this practice I can usually see a marked improvement. Give it a try!

g.rohrbaugh

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Bert,
Thanks so much for for the tips! You know something funny, I have never thought about adjusting the stroke collar and that sounds like it will help me a lot. I knew about the collar but I have been so tied up in trying to engrave and take control to be being more consistant in my engraving that I forgot about all the bells and whistles. Thanks so much for your help!
Gary

Sam

Staff member
Nice job, Gary! Bring those shading cuts all the way to the center ring, though. You're stopping short there.

g.rohrbaugh

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for your input Sam! I didn't realize that until after you mentioned it and looking at the piece again I can see what your talking about. I think I'm improving with each practice piece and with the comments being made, it helps me more each time. Thanks again!
Gary

celticjohn

First attempt at Sam's shading exercise. Same dimensions as Sam initially mentioned on the other thread 37mm x 25mm.
I was happy with it until I see it this close up in Photoshop. I'm working with an optivisor, a microscope would be a great addition to my work bench but budget doesn't stretch that far. To the naked eye it looks fine.....but this close up I'm not so sure.

Attachments

• shading practice.jpg
    shading practice.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 93

Latest posts

Sponsors