Flat Graver Sharpening

Jerry

Need help sharpening flat graver. I do not have a graver sharpener where I can set angles consistantely. I only have a crocker sharpener for square gravers. The flat graver I have is a Glensteel blank. Many Thanks, Jerry jerry-pc@comcast.net

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's been a while since I used a Crocker but I think it will accept a flat. You just straddle the "V" in the holder. I think it is deep enough to take a flat.
That, or just do it the old way by eye...

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Most of the crockers I am familar with need some "correcting". What presumably is an 180 degree rotatiion by the tick marks may be roughly 185 or 175 instead. You will have to spend some time making minute cuts/facets on your 90 degree blank graver (your Glensteel should be fine) and find exactly where your true 90 degree points are from each other. Mark them with a scribe or a graver cut.

Then like Rex said it should be fairly straightforward

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike, I have no objections to trying to learn by hand, but it really needs to be done in close connection with an expereinced engraver. Otherwise the beginner engraver is making mistakes or having problems cutting and he does'nt know if it is caused by poor hand techniqhe or bad sharpening. On the other hand, using a fixture that gives repeatable engraver edges, when used properly can eliminate the variable of poor sharpening.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
scott is right on. if you have no repeatable geometry,that plugs in a variable that is bewildering to a newbie. years ago,i too, used a crocker. it needed a bit of fiddling with, but this "fiddling" will become a requirement until such time you can afford better. fixture- held, diamond- based sharpening i'd say is the first investment you should make.
check out our classified section. you'll almost always find such equipment for sale there.
good luck, and happy cutting. try to keep this endeavor fun. if you don't, good results seldom come. this work truly is fun, and gradually becomes an addiction to that fun.

Latest posts

Sponsors