Flair cut scroll practice

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Exploring some other engraving styles today. These are examples of a style of bright cutting called flair cut. It creates a semi sculpted look to the scroll elements.

I see alot of potential usage for jewelry with this type of engraving as it's a fast way to create alot of coverage plus it has that bling factor!

[video]http://youtu.be/FDKBF9bQ4o4[/video]

Please ignore the commentary, I do that to educate my customers

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like the scrolls !!! on your face book page they are clearer to see on the picture, nice deep sculpting.
I like your other juwelry as well !!!

Douglas

I like the flare cut style. I have done some in the past on silver in a western design but it really doesn’t seem to have the same WESTERN appeal as traditional bright cut. I also like your jewelry, nice work

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bert,

Yes, there has been a lot of good flare cutting since Diane Scalese and Ron Smith focused on it in one of their combined teaching weeks, and probably lots more before that. Like you, I too like the style. I saw more detail on the example on your Facebook, as the YouTube was a bit fuzzy. With reference to the photo in your Facebook, and specifically looking at the scroll at the top of the middle element, I like the way you have separated each leaf element, yet inflected the curve to a nice overall scroll shape. You dispensed with a continuous scroll backbone line. For me this is a more successful look than bringing everything together like a busy freeway intersection. You let the eye join them all together, and that worked for me.

best

Rod

Last edited:

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you all. I appreciate your comments, Rod. I hope my comment at the beginning of the thread doesn't sound to elementary for here. I just copy and pasted what I had typed from another location. I guess I should have written something more appropriate for this audience.

After I read the above comment, it seems like I was saying it was something I invented, which is the furthest thing from what I was trying to do.

Anyhow, thank you for your comments. This was a fun exercise and I still need to practice more to get the feel of the cuts. I need to work on my endings more I've been trying several different approaches, but with this particular leaf structure (it's the same element repeated throughout) my first bright cut I'm stopping abruptly like in western bright cut. Then I'm using cap cuts to meetup and finish off the bright cut.

It's definitely not the way Dianne explains it on the FEGA video, but it seems to work for me and creates a nice element.

I'm trying to explore other structures to broaden my variety of elements Im comfortable cutting.

It also has become very clear how important the polishing of the heel is for this style. You've got immediately touch up the graver as soon as you notice a less than mirror like cut. It really make a huge difference in the appearance of the final product.

Latest posts

Sponsors