Flair cut practice

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
After watching Chris’s recent video on flair cut, I must agree about the fun of this style of engraving, so does my daughter Lola, and it looks great and less time needed.

Most interesting for me was that Chris tells us that also traditional scroll leaves can be cut this way. I was already aware of that and experimented already on that. Sure not the way Chris shows it with a flower etc.

The way the different “lobesâ€￾ are added to a leave really looks nice to me

So I designed a basic backbone for a Zippo I can use as a base to lead me. Sure not important if I follow the backbone, but something to start with.

I also made a similar graver using the scope to polish the round heel with a rubber wheel.

Works great and cut really bright.

I came out with a different geometry than the one Chris showed, that because using Chris’s one perhaps you are not able to “back cutâ€￾. And one needs that when your design has some interweaving.

Now the nice thing about this flair cut style is the short time one need to cut a nice design, and second that it looks real nice no matter what angle you look at it. Especially when the cuts really are bright.

So I made a photo after I cut the backbone of this, not on a Zippo this time, but a steel practice plate.

In my opinion, it is even not needed to ad leaves, sure I will for practising, but not really needed. Yes I only show a photo, sure the live one looks much more alive when moving it and seeing the reflection changing.

Critique on this sure is welcome,

arnaud

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud,

Very impressive cutting. It is not easy to keep that double bevel perfectly centered all the way around a scroll backbone. You may recall from my tutorial in 2008 that I don't actually cut the backbone except for the final turn in the center. I am interested to see your version of the leaves and how you connect them to the backbone.

Here is a link to the 2008 tutorial: http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?3203-Tutorial-Transition-Cut-tutorial-by-Roger-Bleile

Since this came up before, I'll add that when I started doing this about 20 years ago, I called it "double bevel" for lack of a better name. Then in 2008 a fellow posted a revolver he engraved after a class by Diane Scalese and Ron Smith. They were calling it "transitional" again for the lack of a better name. So when I did the tutorial for the Cafe' I called it transitional scroll. After some discussion on this forum and a remark that Ron liked to call it "Flare cut" scroll we agreed that customers would rather have work with flare than something transitional. As a result, when I did the tutorial for The Engraver magazine, I entitled it "Flare Cut Engraving."

There was some discussion a couple of weeks ago about the origin of this style. I certainly do not claim to be the originator as there is nothing in decorative engraving that has not been done in the distant past by some long dead and forgotten master. My only role was, along with Ron and Diane, helping popularize the technique in the present day.

Again, Arnaud you did a masterful job of cutting those spirals. :tiphat:

Cheers ,
Roger

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Roger, sure I remember your tutorial from back then. I also gave it a try as for a lot of us it was worth giving it a try.
Later, and inspired by others here, I used the technique to put on jewellery, that because of its size. It wasn’t that easy to cut really big using this style. Now using the En Set, I have more than enough power to cut real big for covering bigger spaces with flair cut.

Here is an example where I integrated some flair cutting with traditional engraving.

Here some other recent try experimenting with different leave shapes.

So I’m not saying that I already know how I can use a traditional backbone leave design by flaircutting it, I’m only exploring yet but I think there is a way using this technique on traditional Acanthus designs.

arnaud

Thanks Roger, sure I remember your tread from back then.

Latest posts

Sponsors