Help, please: fishtail

nortam95

Hi everybody
i need help with this kind of setting,i regularly set pave , royal pave etc, i ve just started using powertools, i dont know what kind of geometry and gravers i should use for side fishtail cutting, customer wants it like micropave very bright cut, should i use v or beveled flat , need your advice, thanks french cut ring.jpg

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
a flat graver should do what you need. once for making the bright cuts on the sides, and also to split the beads over tward each stone.
how id do it is once seats and all are cut, come down on either side of the bead/prong then from center of seat going tward the bead/prong.
once stones are seated come back and split the bead with the flat. pay attention to the direction of the angle so you dont end up cutting of half the bead rather than just splitting it. (without a laser welder this sucks to fix)

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
I do this style often. After I cut the seats with a round burr, I remove the metal between the diamonds with a cylinder cross cut burr. I use a 90 degree square polished c-max graver to cut the Vs and then I place the diamonds, usually 1 at a time. and split the remaining metal with a flat graver to secure the diamonds. I then go back to the 90 degree to refine the groove in between the created prongs (or beads, if you will).

Latest posts

Sponsors