Critique Request First try at bullino with my travel kit

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
I agree with both Andrew and Chris.

As Andrew said, people starting out engraving do get far too hung up on geometry, size of line, thickness of line, etc, when what they actually NEED to do is spend time at the bench.

Then, as you start to get a feel for what you're doing, start introducing the differing elements.

Far too many people admire an engravers work, then try to replicate that persons 'setup' and expect to produce work to that person's standard.
Don't get me wrong, it's a great theory, and one which will do no harm, but it's only time, time, and time at the bench, that makes the real difference.

Jo

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Jo,

I Agree with what you are saying . I also think that Andrew to a degree was trying to say that as well. But it didn't come across exactly that way. The issue for me was that for the someone to get a good result with the bulino technique there are things that need to be done in a particular way. Now that doesn't mean that people shouldn't experiment and explore on their own ways to accomplish good results in a different way. But as with all engraving one needs to learn the basics first.

You are correct when you say practice practice practice. Your work is proof of that for sure.

Chris

tkelch

Thank you for the info and I will get that DVD. I do also see what you mean that the casting would help a lot to see how to get the effect I want

Tom Kelch

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Castings didn't help me. They might have if they were something other than white on white. Is there a way to add some color to a casting? India ink? Paint?

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Castings can be inked. I've also read somewhere about temporarily inking a casting somehow. Powdered graphite? Lamp black? Anyone know about this one?