first time to post a thread

Jesse Kaufman

I am new to engraving as of this year. I have cut a couple of plates but that is all the time I've had lately. I don't seem to have any gift of design. I make a living checkering so most of my mind deals with straight lines. I've purchased all the tools I need to engrave and draw scrolls and leaves whenever I can. I will be attending the may class with ray cover. Hope I don't lose sight of what I've set out to do. I've purchased all the Dvds that are available to help me and also a small library of books. Any advice on what to try to keep frustration at bay? Thanks for this wonderful site. I really enjoy each visit. Jesse

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Get a power hone and sharpening fixture, if you haven't already. It's by far the best money you will ever spend towards engraving. Being able to quickly and easily sharpen your tools will definitely put you on the right path.

Jesse Kaufman

bert- thanks for the reply and advice. I bought a tom white hone,all the templates for sharpening, the artisian with foot control, a B & l sz5 microscope,gravers,bench stones....well all but the kitchen sink!!! I am so looking forward to the class. I hope I can get this stuff through my thick skull. Thanks again, jesse

Jesse Kaufman

Cloudy-thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to time with ray. I met him at his place last may and he struck me as someone who I would enjoy being around. Thanks again. Jesse

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I presume this is the famed Dakota Arms co stockmaker and checkerer Jesse Kaufman? If so, you have a good command of hand tools and with a little work, you will be up to speed.

Jesse Kaufman

Sam- I sure have watched your scroll Dvd a lot!!!! It has made a huge impact on my progress. It was money extremely well spent. I think it has made all the difference in keeping frustration away. Thank you so very much. Jesse

Dragonsfire

You'll have a great time at Ray's class. Ray is first class. He was able to get this airbrush/tattoo artist to quit drawing his leaves like flames! The week I spent with Ray moved my skill level 2-3 years forward on the do-it-yourself track. He let me video tape his lessons for my own personal use. This has really come in handy when I paint myself into a corner and can't remember the trick of getting out. Good control of the tool also speeds the process up, so carve as much as you can to gain the knowledge over the graver before you go. Good luck and have fun!

Latest posts

Sponsors