Critique Request first time to engrave spyderco

smason

Howdy,
please feel free to critique, this is the first time I have engraved a kinfe. I am still pretty new to engraving. after seeing the awesome work you guys all do I'm kinda embarrassed to post this, but I got thick skin. One of the things I know I need to work on is the roundness of my scrolls, I draw them round, but then go to cutting them and I don't follow my drawing, guess that means I need more practice.

Thanks much, Steve
IMG_4237.jpg IMG_4236.jpg

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
looks rather nice to me. i'm a huge fan of work that will outlast the person creating it. your 3 crosscuts i don't like them much. i think they draw the eye away a bit. on the clip side, i would never have engraved under the clip. just on the ends. not an engraving crime, just personal preferences. the end scrolls come out at an excessively steep angle. they should just "flow" out. thanks for showing, now that i've bashed you.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That looks really good. Your cutting will improve with practice but do keep at it. You're doing really good. I don't mind the three cuts... they're really cool when they're used in the right places, maybe they're slightly oversized on this, but who cares... whoever owns that will be proud I'm sure.

Dirtdigger

Monk gave you good improving points that i cant disagree, but for my newbie eyes this knife looks great!
I´m going to begin to cut my first knife in a few days allso, just need to finish my practise run first on practice plate. I hope mine will be half as good as yours!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I'm going to disagree with others. It doesn't look great or really good. It looks like a rush job. If you can do this well you can slow down and carefully draw good scrollwork. Time to spend some quality time with your pencils and sketchbook. You can cut so that's no problem, and you're flaring your cuts really well. Each cut needs to be placed in the right spot and executed with care and precision.

The second and third scrolls from the left that join to form a sideways "S" shape...that's very difficult to make work. I would advise forgetting that for the time being and maybe revisit it when you've honed your scroll drawing skills.

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Hi smason The things that don't appeal to me are very small...Considering that this is your first Knife I really like it, very good job....I like the design...

Bob

Latest posts

Sponsors