First receiver engraved now how can I preserve it?

RedfordTrails

So here's my first little gun I've been working on. Im finished engraving it now and I'd like to some how preserve the contrast I have between the cuts and case hardening.

Would I be able to blue just the cuts without affecting the case hardening?

I thought about varnish... but it seems like a poor choice. Maybe some how it could be done nicely though?

Or my favored thought now is just let it be. If it rusts I'll still have some kind of contrast, and maybe I can brush the rust so the cuts have a uniform brown color?

unclejim1955

Elite Cafe Member
I agree, the contrast looks great. I saw a tip here on the forum a while back where you thin down varnish and rub it into the pores and then gently wipe the excess with a paper towel dampened with acetone or thinner. I can't remember who posted it. Maybe you can find it. It helps protect from rusting, but allows for the bare metal look.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
You can Dura Coat it. They have a clear coat and it works great. You would spray the whole action.
Sandy

RedfordTrails

Great! I'll look into these, they sound like exactly the kinds of products I'm looking for! THANKS!!!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
many use rustoleum black for contrast. maybe "rusto" white would work. although you'd certainly lose the bright cut effect. try it on some junk steel

Latest posts

Sponsors