Critique Request First gun

ByrnBucks

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I just had this conversation with the ATF agent in my area. If you buy a gun and engrave it to sell you must have manufacture license and the gun has to be marked as required. If a customer brings you a gun to engrave a 01 license is all you need. I have a 07 because I was told by an ATF agent engraving was manufacturing. That being said in the years I have had a license if you ask the same question to 2 agents you will 2 different answers. I was told by an agent to get answers in writing and have them sign it. Engraving your own gun not for resale should not be a problem.
We have an agent here telling people who cerakote that is manufacturing the same agent who told me engraving was manufacturing 15 years ago.
Good luck.
Leland, Much appreciated for the info. One of those things one would never think of doing when getting what should be a definitive answer from an official is to get him to write it down for the next guy who tells you something different. I’m sure more than a few people besides myself will benefit from such advice. BB

ByrnBucks

BB, Why are you engraving the slide with removing the bluing? the bluing should be removed before engraving. J.J
JJ, I’m just going to have to admit the answer to that is going to be a bit of ignorance on my behalf. I have read here more than a few times here people referencing bluing after engraving and assumed they where just doing a more advanced work and finishing than I’d be undertaking for several more years. I was going to wait at least another year before attempting a gun but a simple request from my mother was enough to get me to give it a go. I should break into Meeks book, and the FEGA tips and tricks book Im sure I just didn’t do enough studying be jumping in. Thank you very much for bringing it to my attention kind sir. BB

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
I have an FFL. You need one if you are going to hold serialized recievers that don’t belong to you to work on them overnight. You need an 01 class licence which is the same as a gunsmith or dealer.

Without one you can work on your own firearms, you can work on customers non-serialized parts like pistol slides, revolver cylinders, whatever you can remove from a gun that doesn’t have #s on it. You’ll notice you can mail order the same kinds of parts without an FFL.

As far as I know you can also work on a complete gun if the owner hands it to you and you hand it back without holding it overnight- like maybe throw some initials on it while they wait.

But to have a customer give you a firearm that you hold on to while the work is being designed and performed overnight or longer then you need to be federally vetted and licenced to be in posession of customer guns and keep a log book of what you have and who you got it from.

I thought the ATF part of the licensing was easy- it was the local municipality that needed to be convinced that I am an artisan craftsman and not a gun retailer.
And if I'm not mistaken when returning said firearm or receiver w/ a ss# you must do a yellow form ( I forgot the number) and a background check. I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure. Batf has zero sense of humor and just looking to put something were the sun don't shine.

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
And if I'm not mistaken when returning said firearm or receiver w/ a ss# you must do a yellow form ( I forgot the number) and a background check. I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure. Batf has zero sense of humor and just looking to put something were the sun don't shine.
When returning a firearm back to the owner for work done ( engraving ) no background check needed just receipt for said work and recorded in your A&D records (Acquisition & Disposition) book… it’s like sending it to a gunsmith.

ByrnBucks

Thank you sir, Ill be sure before undertaking anything else, for one Im a bit more skilled, and two iv done all my homework.

ByrnBucks

When returning a firearm back to the owner for work done ( engraving ) no background check needed just receipt for said work and recorded in your A&D records (Acquisition & Disposition) book… it’s like sending it to a gunsmith.
Much appreciated sir.

Yes the way my ATF agent explained it to me you can return a gun to its owner but if they send their wife or something to pick it up then it’s a background check.

I went and got all my state paperwork to be able to do transfers in case I ever want/need to but honestly it looks like a pain in the butt- I’m in PA here you send a small check to the state police like 3 6 or 9 bucks I forget per transaction then you have to keep the paperwork filed for 20 years. Not worth the trouble for me- I’ll just return engraved guns to who I got em from and keep the details in my inventory book.

ByrnBucks

Yes the way my ATF agent explained it to me you can return a gun to its owner but if they send their wife or something to pick it up then it’s a background check.

I went and got all my state paperwork to be able to do transfers in case I ever want/need to but honestly it looks like a pain in the butt- I’m in PA here you send a small check to the state police like 3 6 or 9 bucks I forget per transaction then you have to keep the paperwork filed for 20 years. Not worth the trouble for me- I’ll just return engraved guns to who I got em from and keep the details in my inventory book.
Evening Kevin, Thanks for the info. Even though I expect it will be some time before I start taking on firearms Im glad that everyone has shared their knowledge of properly undertaking such jobs. Surly Im not the first to be a bit caught off guard by the extra steps that must be taken and hopefully others will also learn from my near miss. Much appreciated. BB

Latest posts

Sponsors