First few weeks... Sharing and more questions

SarahLadd

Hi everyone,

I've spent a few weeks now with my engraver, and in between working full time, running and power lifting, I've been fitting in my engraving practice here and there. I've studied out of a few books, watched some DVD's, and started to learn how to do some scrolls. My equipment is very, very basic: I have purchased a California Air compressor, which works great but still isn't quiet enough to kick on without spooking me like a cat jumping on a sleeping horse so I moved it to the laundry room and ran a line to the bedroom I'm working out of. I have a standard GRS graver ball I'm borrowing until I can get my own, a clip lamp and a shop work table I'm working on (it's definitely far too high and my chair too low, so I need a solution to fix this soon), an optivisor (which isn't enough magnification for me to even try to practice shading with), and the lindsay classic airgraver.

http://imgur.com/BNO1pQM

So I started a few practice plates just to get the feel of cutting the metal... I'm working on brass because it's what I had available sitting around to use. This is as far as I've managed to get. The biggest problems I'm having right now are getting into tight curves, rolling my graver as I cut while I turn the ball, and the graver "getting away from me" or going too fast while I'm cutting when I think that I'm changing nothing about my pressure on the pedal or angle of the graver.

http://imgur.com/H7YGpx6

I made a 14k/18k and diamond pendant the other day and utilized my graver for for the project, I know it's the wrong tip to use for a "bulino" type finish but I tried it with the pre-sharpened graver that came with my new tool, and bright cut along the two tone join lines. I know it's not very impressive, but I'm personally very happy with the engraved cuts, because my whole career as a jeweler I have never been able to produce a lovely, controlled curved bright cut before.

http://imgur.com/mwZCEs5

I have tried calling the few gun shops in town, and the trophy engraving store, to see if there is anyone around who does hand engraving for firearms or otherwise that I might be able to learn from locally and have come up short. I learn best from instruction, although I feel I may be able to hobble along with print and digital media for instruction. I have tried scouring the internet, and I don't think that there is anyone out there promoting themselves within my area. If anyone might be able to lead me in the direction of someone close by who might be willing to let a fledgling learn more, I would be so very grateful. That aside, I am considering trying my had at making a few small, simple engraved projects to help fund more tools to improve my work space. I would like to experiment with Niobium and wondered, since it was not on the list of precious metals and their hardness to engrave on, if anyone had any experience engraving with it and if I should worry. I think it should be somewhat like sterling silver?

So far I am having fun. Drawing has always been my personal strong suit. I hope that I can find the balance between my ability to draw and my ability to engrave, and bring them both together to create beautiful and unique things. Here is a small album of art I've done, to get an idea of what I like to draw, and what kind of engraving artist I might be...

http://imgur.com/a/vzrmN

Thank you all for looking. :)

Sarah

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sarah: I would suggest either uploading pics or linking them so the images show in the forum. You'll probably get more feedback if members don't have to go to another website to look at your photos.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Sarah

I like your drawings and I'm sure that you will do just fine with adjusting your subject matter to engraving designs.

The only advise I can give you is to keep at it as all good things take time to learn. :)

Cheers
Andrew