First 'Banknote' engraving

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sams thread got me thinking....I remembered doing some banknote style engraving at some time, and then I remembered, it was on the first gun of the set of 'The African Hunter Series' Sir. Samuel Baker by H&H.
The side plates were copies off Bakers sketches which were pen and ink and engraved in banknote style.
This was the first time I attempted this method. I don't think i've done it since.
I've just found this pull of the pistol cap.

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Bravo Monsieur Coggan

Hi Phil,

It looks like these plates that can be found in old naturalist's books. It's very resembling , not exactly like Durer's rhino . I suppose he never saw one ;) However his engraving , like yours, is very impressive.
Thanks for sharing your work in the forums.:)

Phil, why haven't you used this technique again ?

Best Regards

Jean

Attachments

• Durersrhino.jpg
    Durersrhino.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Phil,
Phil, why haven't you used this technique again ?
Best Regards
Jean

Jean,
'Banknote' engraving is usually quite large, the rhino was probably 3 cm. The scenes on guns are small in comparison and getting a photographic 'look' with this technique is not the way to go.

Phil

Kerry Bogan

Phill very nice
A quick question that probably doesn't have a quick answer. How does this technique vary from the way you would do the rhino now.
Kerry

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great idea Phil, here was my first attempt at bank note engraving back about '88 maybe, the knife bolster is about 3/4 of inch (about 2cm) tall

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
Is banknote engraving easier to see than fine line engraving? The difference is thicker lines?
Rod

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phill very nice
A quick question that probably doesn't have a quick answer. How does this technique vary from the way you would do the rhino now.
Kerry
Is banknote engraving easier to see than fine line engraving? The difference is thicker lines?
Rod
Banknote is quicker than bulino, (by the way bulino just means graver or burin, it was adopted as fine line and dotwork after the Italian books became available) It's not easier because you have to know which way the lines go! 'Bulino is a method of cutting thousands of lines, sometimes very close together, on really fine work, about 22 lines side by side per 1mm but the lines are still separate and not touching and when viewed without a glass the area is seen as just grey, the lines are so fine they can't be seen. With this work it is possible to get a really dense matt black, with almost no visible cuts.

Phil

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
Wow, I love those ducks as much as the Rhino. I was told that ducks mate for life. We used to live at a golf course where I worked as a carpenter and they had swans and ducks and geese and peacocks etc. I voluntered to help feed and care for them and help round the swans up for shots. and that gave me the opertunity to draw them a lot from my work golf cart. I started carving decoys. The mallards were wild and just flew in from who knows where. I got to recognize some of them. When something would happen to one of them, the one left would just mope around from then on and not stay with the rest but would follow along behind. It was sad to watch. Often a fox, eagle or owl would get them.

mhgjewel

Elite Cafe Member
that is very nice i am planning on studying Bulino next year with Chris DeCamillis. if anyone is looking for more training Chris is an excellent teacher, he has a great teaching studio over his garage that overlooks a lake in Traverse city which is in the mid part of Michigan. it is the closest thing to engraving serenity.

Matthew

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
Phil, I just got my Firmo & Francesca Fracassi book and in there is a statement about," he sharpens his burinat about a 60-70 degree and instead of the usual 40-45" So I am assuming that is the face angle since I have never heard of anyone using a 40-45 degree V graver.
His work amazes me since it looks so much better even magnified by 10 power! How is this possible he can get such detail and no other engravers ever have even come close to that detailed work? Any idea how he does this? I have even had a Fracassi gun in my shop to look at under a microscope and still cant figure how he gets dots so small. Any help?
Thanks again for posting your amazing work.

Last edited:

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Phil

You say you're cutting 22 lines per 1mm ... Amazing .
I have once cut 14 lines under my scope, and was thinking it's a world record, I'm disappointed.:D

I've sharpened a Coggan's point but was making a flat until the tip . I've just understand that the tip is a 90°V , and the flat begins just after. It works well for me, I'll try to cut really fine lines now.

Thanks again

Jean

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fracassi IS amazing!!!
As to how to get all those dots, firstly the tool has to be very sharp, always.
A very steady hand, and the tool just touches the work and by placing one dot after another as tight as is possible. It has to be remembered that this work takes Forever! and your patience has to be extraordinary.
I use a hand held 10 X loupe, the hand that cuts the dots presses or rests against the hand that holds the loupe, this is what gives you the steadyness.

Jean,
I think i've mentioned before that sometimes I use a 45deg for the face but also about 60, I say 'about' because I don't measure it.
I have to say something here. I think there is a tendency these days for engravers to do too much analysing ie. tool angles etc. Ok, it's good to get an angle that cuts the way you want, but it's not critical! Templates make it easy to get angles quickly and accurately but when your in this business it's not practical to...every few minutes, re-jig the tool to sharpen, it's far better to learn to do it the old way....by hand and in seconds! It takes a while to learn but pays off in the longrun, but these are just my thoughts, others may have others.
Phil

Last edited:

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have to say something here. I think there is a tendency these days for engravers to do too much analysing ie. tool angles etc. Ok, it's good to get an angle that cuts the way you want, but it's not critical! Phil

yes YES YES You said it Phil!

I think this should be added to the hints and tips pages Sam!

santos

Elite Cafe Member
You’re right Phil ,
I’m an amateur and one of those analyzing angles, profiles, heels and how the chips are coming to the floor . All this technique is confusing for some of us and more for me having to decrypt your language.:D

No matter, I’ll continue looking for the magic graver that cuts alone.
If you give me a Stradivarius fiddle I’ll never play you a Mozart’s sonata.:rolleyes:
Honestly, I don’t think I’ll cut much better with a Fracassi’s or Coggan’s graver but I’ll try it . I expect that all these hours practising will improve my engraving…

Thanks again Phil to open my eyes, I’ll spend less time analyzing and more cutting;)

Best regards

Jean