First attempt at Bulino

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
This is just a incomplete practice plate, Sarah's 28 is next.

It looks great with the naked eye, awful under the microscope.

Help or suggestions welcome.

Ken

Last edited:

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Ken,

I think it looks great..

Keep at it and lets see the progress.

AirAmp

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Bulino Duck

Thanks Guy's

I appreciate the compliments, I will keep you informed as to progress.

I am surprised at how well it is turning out myself considering that I had just about decided I could not do Bulino (As Phil Coggans said “ 22 lines side by side per 1mm”) .

After giving up my morning coffee things started to look up.

This is the Duck I am trying to copy.

You can see I have a small triangle area about in the center that I have to sand back to lighten up.

This is all new to me, everything is trial and error

Ken

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is just a incomplete practice plate, Sarah's 28 is next.

It looks great with the naked eye, awful under the microscope.

Help or suggestions welcome.

Ken

Uh....

Don't give Sarah a microscope?

Seriously, I took my first class from Marty Rabeno (Fancygun) and he pointed out that while magnification is great for doing engraving, it's not something you use to look at it (unless you're evaluating something for purchase or such).

Stupid work computer won't let me see the image so I'll have to wait until later to discuss it, but in general, if it looks good at whatever the normal viewing distance for the finished piece will be then, well... it looks good.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ken, this is a pintail. The tail is wrong; bring those two feathers together as one. Those two hump shapes just to the left of the tail are probable part of the leg. I would leave those out; they're confusing. When I first looked I thought mallard which has curly cues at the base of it's tail.
The distinctive features of a pintail is the tail and the white on the head (the thinner part). These are what distinguishes a pintail from a mallard from a canvasback, etc. If you get those two details right everyone will see a pintail.
I think the point is not a generic duck but a specific duck.
I have no inside tips on 'bulino' work except get Chris' video if you don't have it.
Kevin P.

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Steve

I Won't let Sarah near my microscope.

With naked eye this looks lots better than my photo abilities show.

Thanks for the Photo tip's

Kevin

I have included a Photo that I am trying to copy.

I presume the two humps are the tips of the ducks folded wings.

As far as the tail I think you are probable correct (Thats why they call it a Pintail) however I am just trying to copy the picture.

My photo abilities do not do the Bulino justice.

Thank for taking the time to respond I do appreciate It.

Ken

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Ken, Nice job on your bulino. Sarah is gonna love it.
I believe the two bumps you see on the far side of the duck's back are the two tip feathers on the alula on the leading edge of the birds folded right wing.
Best regards.

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Pintail Bulino

John B.

I appreciate the compliment.

I thought that was what the bumps were, I just figured the person who painted the Pintail knew more than I did.

Thanks again

Ken

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Ken,
If you're interested in duck anatomy and some great photographs check out Prairie Wings from Dover publications ISBN 0-486-24544-6, not very expensive.
Photos by Edgar M. Queeny and corrisponding drawings by Richard E. Bishop.
Though the photographs are a little older and black and white they capture the birds and action very well. And the illistration line drawing of the photograph are a great help as a starting point to develop an engraving. Also great detail drawings of folded wings, beaks and feet etc.
The pintail's terminal tail normally consists of two black feathers which are mostly held close together. But on page 147 of Prarie Wings there is a photograph of a drake in flight clearly showing the feathers with some space between them somewhat like the illistration you followed.
Best.

Last edited:

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Duck Book

John B.

Am I Interested, this is a gold mine.

You touched a tender spot, I am a book freak, I am constantly looking for books of this type.

I went right to the Net and I have it on order.

Now if I could just find something along the same lines on quail.

I have not yet decided what to put on the right side, Dogs, Ducks or quail.

I am sure I will get ideas from this Book.

Thank You very Much.

Ken

Last edited:

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ken,
If you're interested in duck anatomy and some great photographs check out Prairie Wings from Dover publications ISBN 0-486-24544-6, not very expensive.
Photos by Edgar M. Queeny and corrisponding drawings by Richard E. Bishop.
Though the photographs are a little older and black and white they capture the birds and action very well. And the illistration line drawing of the photograph are a great help as a starting point to develop an engraving. Also great detail drawings of folded wings, beaks and feet etc.
The pintail's terminal tail normally consists of two black feathers which are mostly held close together. But on page 147 of Prarie Wings there is a photograph of a drake in flight clearly showing the feathers with some space between them somewhat like the illistration you followed.
Best.
John B, the point I was making is that an observer of ducks sees two things that distinguish a pintail from other ducks: that line of white that goes up the head and the tail that is most often seen as a single form. It is possible that at some point, say while it is cleaning itself, one could lots of different things that one doesn't normally see.
But if the engraver doesn't care; it's of no importance.
Kevin P.

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Pintail Duck

Kevin

I took your comment the way you meant it (in a positive way).

It just that I have this one picture in mind for a long time.

I had not even considered any thing else.

But you are correct, thats why they call them Pintails.

Best Regards

Ken

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ken, the good thing about the picture you're working from is that it's already in monochrome so the tonal values are already there.

You've made quite a nice job of the duck shape but now you need to work it up a bit more. The body (as defined by light grey) is lacking in your rendition, likewise the dark shadow under the head where it joins the neck, make this darker.

If you work on these simple things (they are very easy to correct) you'll have a super duck.

A quick word about anatomy. Sometimes we copy a picture because the picture looks good and we like it. This is fine if it's a photo but can be lacking if an artist has drawn or painted it. If we are not totally familiar with the creature we're engraving (and not many of us are naturalist who know everything about every animal) and we're copying from a painting say, we'll copy those mistakes that are there. That's why it's good to not only have the picture we're working from but if possible lots of others too in order to get a feel for the animal or bird we're rendering.

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Bulino

Marcus

This is my first try at Bulino, I have both of Christian's Video's (FEGA's and his own) and have tried to absorb every comment about Bulino that comes up on the Forum other than that this is pretty much trial and error.

I am trying to cut at least 22 lines per mm so you can not see lines just color (Different shades of gray) however it seems like it doesn't make any difference what direction I cut single pass or three, all are about same shade.

The reason there is nothing on the lower body and water is, my shop has no windows (some burglary protection) and I had told my wife I wanted to take pictures on the next cloudy day, while I was deep in the bowels of my shop a unexpected storm came up my wife called so I stopped to take pictures.

The Bulino pictures turned out reasonably well even though incomplete I decided to put them on the forum hoping for suggestions such as yours.

If you notice a small triangle area just about the center of the duck, that is supposed to be light gray, (that where I was working).

I was thinking about lightly sanding that back just a little to lighten it up a bit (like I said this is all trial and error).

On anatomy I just ordered Prairie Wings from Dover publications as suggested by John B. as well as five other books on Ducks.

I will try to darken the small triangle shadow just under the ducks jaw area.

I am having the most trouble with light area's.

Marcus do want to thank you for taking the time to look over my work and making your suggestions.

I will try anything.

Ken