firs attempt at a seal ring

Les Riddell

first attempt at a seal ring

i've finally completed some engraving i feel comfortable posting. I mostly use my engraving equipment for stone setting. the unicorn was carved with the hi speed air and the lettering with a 90 degree graver. hope i attached the image properly.

Attachments

• uni.jpeg
    uni.jpeg
    12.6 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It looks quite nicely done but like Sam says, we need a bigger picture.

My only concern would be that if you were to use this as a seal it would come out back to front as you haven't reversed the crest from what I can make out.

Les Riddell

Crest is reversed text is not. alas this is the only photo i was able to get before the customer picked it up. i will endeavor to take better photos of the next project.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My apologies Les. It was just that in my experience the 'crest' which sits on top of the helm, like the helm, usually faces to the left or if you're a duke, etc, the helm is face on. The crest usually faces the direction of the helm i.e. looking to/facing left when looked at normally. Of course, when it's engraved this must be done in reverse. Yours faces left so I kind of assumed that when used as a seal it would face right. But if this is how it is supposed to be depicted, who am I to assume otherwise? There always seem to be contradictions to every rule, LOL.

Last edited:

Les Riddell

this is knowledge i can use thanks. at the moment especially with the heraldry stuff i am a beginner to the small details so i can only work with what i am given by the customer. in this case an old seal in wax as positive to produce the neg. so it is highly possible the the original seal was made in reverse and now i have just reproduced the mistake. As i have more commissions of this type coming in i will put this new knowledge to work. thank you very much Marcus!!

Latest posts

Sponsors