Finally Ready for some feedback...

jmcutting

Okay Gang, I have had my GRS Order for a few weeks now and have been working on getting something I felt good enough about to post for everyone to see. I know that the picture isn't very good and you would expect something better from a photo buff... I don't have a macro lense and really haven't had much use for it until now... (Ordered one tonight...)

I know there are a lot of issues but would appreciate any help you could provide!

thanks,
-justin

Attachments

• first.jpg
    first.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 243

jmcutting

I know the picture isn't great but is everyone afraid to say how bad it is...

Denny

Elite Cafe Member
Justin, I think you are coming along fast. It is considerably better than my first attempts. In fact, my father-in-law and I work together making bits and spurs, and he still keeps the bit with my first engraving hanging in his shop. Whenever he thinks I am getting a little too proud of myself, he just points at that bit. You are doing great. Hang in there and keep at it, it will come.

jmcutting

Thanks Denny,

I have been practicing by myself so far but am planning a trip down south to work with a TCAA Member in Oct. I have a set of spurs with all the silver cut out but have been too afraid to solder it. My soldering still needs some work, but can't wait to have something that I have done that is complete and useable...

-justin

Justin,

Looks good to me. Right now I guess I will just have to just say that your work is looking better than mine, however I will try to get some pics up soon to prove it!

Michael

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Justin,
Looks like you are off to a good start. Which TCAA member are you going to see?
Stewart Williamson

jmcutting

Michael & Stewart... thanks for the vote of confidence. I have gone through a bunch of practice plates and with all the amazing work posted here I wanted to get something that didn't look like I scratched it with an ice pick...

I am going to see Greg Darnall.

-justin

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Justin~ I have to agree that if this is your first attempt, it is pretty darn good! I still have my very first copper practice plates. Holy smokes, you oughta take a gander at those......geez! Looking forward to seeing how your engraving developes...keep posting.

Best regards,
Greg Pauline

jmcutting

Greg,

This isn't my very first piece... I have had my GRS gear for about 2 weeks now and have gone through a lot of plates. I am doing everything by hand since I was told I would learn the art and technique better that way. I know this is something that is strongly debated but I am going with the advice for now at least...

-justin

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
Justin~ Regardless Justin, after only 2 weeks of practice, still very well done. 2 questions though. What type of material are you using for your practice plates? On average, how many hours a day did you spend practicing "the art of engraving" before you engraved this plate? Keep up the good work Justin!

Best regards,
Greg Pauline

jmcutting

Greg,

I am using copper for my practice plates. I bought a 2'x2' sheet and use a air sheer to cut the plates.

My practice time varies somewhat but I try and spend an hour or two an evening. Though I have probably only been down there 8 or so days so far. I manage a Marketing/Web Development Department by day, train horses in the evening and try and find time to engrave after that...

I ran into some issues with sharpening my graver and was having a lot of difficulties. Yesterday I got 2 new ones I ordered from GRS and did this plate last night. I am learning that a correctly sharpened graver makes a huge difference...

-justin

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
I would recomend that you practice lighter and more delicate cuts as they require more control, and when you get the hang of it go deeper.Your work shows courage

jmcutting

Joseph,

Thank you for your advice. Being delicate is a lot harder. I will foccus on gaining control and hope to post more soon.

I also have to say that I read your book and loved it. It inspired me to chase my dream and realize the effort that one must put forth when they really want something. You are truly "A Gifted Man"!!

-justin

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks pretty good Justin!

I've only had my stuff coming up on three months so I see some mistakes I've made and some I haven't gotten to yet.

I haven't even tried that wiggle cut yet - yours looks pretty good! Looks like it may have thrown your outer circle slightly out of round.

Did you draw the design right on the plate or transfer it? I was drawing things in place, then moved up to transferring with wax and vellum (pencil drawing on the vellum will burnish onto the wax. Needs to be done mirror image but easy to do with a lightbox). I'm sensitive to some solvents so I was holding off on trying the acetone / laser printer method but fortunately it doesn't bother me in the tiny amounts used so now I can get some designs laid out better.

Overall I like the piece.

Engraving's like magic, isn't it? Something about the design being cut right into the metal automatically takes it to a certain level. Get a good design and it gets better. Better execution, etc. and you move toward the incredible work we see here. I think that's part of what makes engraving so rewarding. Start from scratch with oil paints and you get just a muddled mess. Start with gravers and you get something worth looking at.

Keep up the good work - I bet by Christmas we're both giving out gifts that will be greatly appreciated.
:)

jmcutting

Steve,

Thanks for the compliment, words of encoragement and friendly advice.

I actually drew this on the plate with a pencil. Well I drew the two circles, and the flower and then did the filler by hand. I am still working on the control with the wiggle it is hard to keep it uniform still but I'll keep working on it.

I have played with transfers a bit but haven't really gotten the hang of it yet. I have tried the Sharpie tech. and it seems to work okay for me. I tried the laser printer with acetone but it didn't work for me. Have you modified your printer to remove the heat roller?

I hope that i am that far by xmas but we'll see!

Thanks again
-justin

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Justin,

Whe are at the same level I think, starting and in awe of the posts of the proffs on this forum. Maybe nice to get some positive compettative game goning on.
Have jou seen Sam's last bolster design? If I find the time, I will attempt this (above my league) design (espacially the shading) on a piece of silver. Maybe alter the design to fit the form.

What if we try to engrave this design into whatever metal, and within one month see what wheve got?
Whenn I was in Goldsmitthing school, I had this friend with who this positive battle lasted for three years, asking the best of our skills and more. It provided us both with an extra boost to do the best! whe are best friends today.

Might be a nice challenge?

jmcutting

Daniel,

I am game to give that bolster a try... I agree the shading will be difficult to meet but imagine we can figure something out. I think having a challenge will push you to work on it and strive for the best work possible...

I'm In!

-justin

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I could not tell what you had used for a tool to do the wriggle cuts. I use a liner. It appears that you may have applied too much downward pressure to the wriggle cuts. It should be just enough pressure so that the tool, does not come out of the cut. I hope this helps and keep up the good work!

jmcutting

I used a 40 Flat for the outer ring and a 38 for the inner one... I have to play with it some more and see if I can get it better. I don't think that my graver comes out because it makes a continuous piece of copper as I go around the circle...

-justin

Latest posts

Sponsors