Help, please: filler leaves.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
I know I have some places I need to correct , the starter scroll for one. But I don't know why I have so much trouble with filler leaves. If someone might point me in a direction that would go with this drawing , it would help alot. This drawing is just a practice drawing, so any tips remarks are welcome.flow is one of the main things I been working on developing, so how did I do.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20131108_174203_508-1.jpg
    IMG_20131108_174203_508-1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 293

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
Hey I'm new but I like it. Only thing that doesnt really make sense to me is the leaf in the center with the stems growing out of it.

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i think the leaf in the center is the spot where the scroll orininate so in my opinion nothing's wrong with that but I have problems with the end leaves, which go's against the total flow.
But every time I think I understand something about scrolls I read fundamental arguments that totaly ruins my point of view.....

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Usually (but not always) leaves grow from the sides of the vines, with flowers coming from the ends. Some plants have a flowering leaf at the end, but they usually grow more from clumps rather than from vine structures. IMO

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
Wow, that's a big improvement from your last post. You have been busy sketching! I really like the leaves, but I'm not sure about the "y" over the notch on bottom. Maybe the origin leaf could flare further left and fold over to cover it? That might make the origin match the other leaves.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Was thinking about putting a flower stem ( pistol, stemen. (Sp).) Coming from the end leaves to make them kinda a flower element. As far as the "Y" area goes, been thinking of a good way to cover it. The " Y " ended up a biproduct of a revition I made to the original design. Thanks for the kind comments, I try to draw when I get chances to. I look back at my old posts and do my best to follow the directions I been given.

ahenson

All the elements are too close to the same scale (size) at this point, IMO, so there is no focal point / element. The flow from right to left seems off to me as well. The origin leaf is sitting on top of the other, which makes it look a little cartoonish and less three-dimensional and lifelike. Everyone so far has some good tips for you!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
this design is reasonably well drawn. having said that, the design you have here is confusing to my eye. then again, perhaps that's what you wished to achieve here.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am going to commit a sacrilege here. Loose the starter scroll behind the leaf. This is often done by starting a scroll behind a flower. I think it would improve your design if the traditional small knob was behind the leaf and that leaf was fuller. If scroll is an adaptation or interpretation of plants then all of them would come out of a pot. This is a case where you should break the "rule" the growth would be the same but the awkward curl would be behind. The flow would not be effected and the eye would be in continuous motion. You would end up with a more harmonious outcome.

I would also suggest that when you move on to the shading you treat the inside of the curled leaves with one style of cut say very fine line and the back sides with a different approach hence a different color. Fred

PS take a look at the frame section just below the slide on this illustration of a Winston Churchill 1911 http://books.google.com/books?id=dQ...gK#v=onepage&q=italian engraving vise&f=false

Last edited:

Eric Olson

Elite Cafe Member
I think the leaf along the bottom appears to be struggling to try to fill the space - maybe a smaller leaf coming from the loop that passes behind the leaf on the right? I also feel that the rounded leaves at the center (where the 3 stems are) should be longer and more pointed like the other leaves.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
So many good tip. I will do my best to implement (sp) what y'all are telling me. But is my overall flow Ok, that's something I have been working on ,

Latest posts

Sponsors