Fill in the Blank

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had "ONE OF THOSE DAYS" today.
Instead of using the sledgehammer problem solving method, I decided to amuse myself at each disaster by asking the question:

"Don't you hate it when___(fill in the blank)_____________"

Now this may be a lousy idea , but I thought maybe it would be worth a laugh to find out how many of you engravers "out there" wouldn't mind sharing what you would put in the "Blank".

So, what do you say? "Don't you hate it when______________________________?"

jmcutting

"Don't you hate it when you are just beginning and you sliced your nuckle and keep doing it day after day!"

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Don't you just hate it when you spend 4 hrs drawing a design knife bolster and your kid brings a friend into your studio who sits at your bench and erases all of your work with a wipe of his thumb across your transfer wax layout?

Robert Morales

Elite Cafe Member
Don't you hate it when, you're doing your darndest to cut a straight line, face all scrunched up etc., and then the Wife and or the Dog come waltzing in, your microcscope view now looks like an earthquake just hit...

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When the customer knows better what you should charge them, than you.

I had a customer the other day say that the charge for a gold repair was too much. I responded by asking the cust if she knew how much gold was an ounce. She said she didn't have a clue. I then asked her how she could possibly know how much the repair should cost and what she was basing her analogy on. It shut her up quick and she left promptly, and I don't even care if I insulted her because it didn't matter to her how she spoke to me.

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
this is a newby engraver one but it happens to me pretty regular.
"Don't you hate it when your makeing your last shadeing cut and you slip?"

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don't you hate it when a customer tries to add more inlay and details after you have already started cutting.

Don't you hate it when the phone won't stop ringing. Then you find out it tinnitus:D

Ray

Denny

Elite Cafe Member
Don't you hate it when as a new engraver you slip badly and realize, with some intrest, that the graver is now firmly embedded into one of the bones in your left hand."

WDA

What's that Ray? huh............speak up!

Don't you hate it when you think your work looks good, then you view pics. in the the photo
photo gallery!

Bill

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don't you hate it when you slip and realize it was an improvement.:eek:

Don't you just hate it when you spend 4 hrs drawing a design knife bolster and your kid brings a friend into your studio who sits at your bench and erases all of your work with a wipe of his thumb across your transfer wax layout?

oh... KILL. KIIILLLLL. You should set an electric charge to your chair when gone...

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don't you hate it when you sit down to visit the Engraver's Cafe and enjoy a cup of coffee and two hours later you get up and realize them darn lazy engraving elves have not done a thing on your bench while you were gone!

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don't you hate it when your kids, who are home for the summer, interrupt your engraving on average ever 12 minutes..... "MA!"

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Don't you hate it when nosey neighbors who see your vehicles seldom move, ask if you are out of work. Then when you explain that you are an engraver and your studio is at home they look at you in disbelief. Then to go further, they will stop by out of the blue to see for themselves what it is you do, so now I have to stop what I am doing, give them the tour and show them some work. They then ask how much the knife they are holding is worth I respond "45", they go on to say wow 45 dollars is alot for a knife that they just bought a good knife at Ace Hardware for $14. I then take a deep breath and say it is 45 hundred dollars and to please STOP rubbing your thumb across my 24k gold inlay!

Sponsors