FEGA in Reno .....Or a Class?

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Good evening everyone,

I was wondering if you could tell me if attending the FEGA convention in Jan is a good event for a relatively new engraver. Not a gambler or heavy drinker so Reno is like any other town to me. What types of things will I be able to learn? Am I better served in putting the same funds towards a class or more books and DVD's?

I find myself wanting to go in order to meet other engravers and to see everyones work upclose and ask a question or 100!!

Any insight would be great.

Donny

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The FEGA show is something every engraver should experience. I can't think of a better place to get inspired. You'll see some of the finest engraving in the world there, but it's not like taking an engraving class where you sit and engrave for 40 hrs. It's hard to say which choice would be best for you, but I might tend to lean more toward a class if you're just starting out. Once you've had a class and are off and running with your engraving, you'll appreciate and absorb a lot more from your Reno experience.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I gree with Mr. Sam, Don. If you are just starting out a class will teach you much more in the short amount of time because it is hands on and you will be shown things that might be missed at Reno. The class experience will make a visit to the FEGA show more productive as well. Engraving can be a great life time journey and I hope you enjoy it as much as I.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Don,
I agree with the Sams!

To sum it up: In Reno you will see first-hand "what" is possible ....in a class you will learn "how to do it" ! That's a grand over-simplification however, until you don't know what you don't know, it's hard to learn. Going to the class will help you begin to understand & then what you see in Reno will be seen with different eyes. Hmmm.......I feel like I should say "grasshopper" at the end of that sentence!:cool:

Good luck,
Weldon

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
To continue a theme, i agree with the Sams and Weldon. You go to FEGA to see what others have done, reconect with past teachers or fellow students, brouse and enjoy being with other engravers who understand what you do and can give you tips and insights into solving your engraving probelms (although most of the really good engravers are actually busy with customers!), and if you have a table there, you're trying to run your business. Spend the money on a class or two, and learn the basics first. Then go to Reno and have a blast.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As a newbie I can't tell you about Reno, but classes at the GRS training Center rock! I attended Sam's basic metal engraving class and had a master instructor for 43 hours. It is unbelievable what I learned. Next week I'm learning from FEGA President Rex Pedersen. I would take the classes again if I had to choose.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Unlike the fun loving me, Rex uses fear and intimidation to teach :beatup:. Those that make it to the end of the week have the scars to prove it and end up being pretty darn good engravers.

RoycroftRon

Elite Cafe Member
And with Rex you have Sandy there to keep you in line while Rex is intimidating somebody else. (just kidding of course - Rex is good natured as well) I'm The gun class right now... You are in for a treat next week.

My $.02 - a class is the way to go. No matter what you will be saturated with good engraving from what I here about Reno. With a class or two under your belt you will appreciate the subtleties and what goes into it.

Last edited:

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Thank all of you for your insight!!! I am going to start looking for a class to attend. Still gonna work out my drawing skills on some scrolllllllllll designs and be ready to hit the ground running.

Thanks again for the advise!!!

Donny

Andrew Biggs

WHAT!!! ..............You mean they let Rex out already and come within a 100 meters of students after the last incident??? My God, what are they thinking???? :)

I would concur with everyone else.

But

It's only money and you cant take it with you....................so go to both :)

Cheers
Andrew

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Donny,

Seriously, a class is worth every penny if taken from quality people. I chose GRS Training Center (http://www.grstrainingcenter.com/) because they seemed to be THE QUALITY center with THE QUALITY people.

If you are looking for a book or DVD on drawing, I have used Sam Alfano's "The Essential Guide to Drawing Scrolls" (http://www.grstools.com/dvds-and-videos/graver-and-layout-techniques/023-103.html) and it is very helpful.

I am going to buy Ron Smith's book "Drawing & Understanding Scroll Designs" (http://www.grstools.com/books/layout-design-and-drawing/022-199-H.html) while I am up there. I cannot speak for the quality of the book, but I have heard it is a must have.

Also, the people on this site have been amazing. Keep working at it and you will start to feel comfortable with it...

Gerry

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tag teamed by Sam and Rex. It's going to take a good instructor years to undo all the bad habits and damage. ..........actually well done choosing those two and many years of enjoyment, engraving.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Beathard...I have Sam's video on scrolls, and Both of Ron's books on scrolls and MANY OTHER DVD's and handpiece, microscope, vice....But I feel a teacher over my shoulder would minimize my learning curve by years! I will call the GRS training center tomorrow but I'm afraid they may not allow me to use my handpiece because it's made by the other guy.

Donny

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You guys are just too kind!!! :)
Yes I do have Sandy as my hence man as well! Its a great time!
Now if they would just turn off the heat in Kansas!

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beathard...I have Sam's video on scrolls, and Both of Ron's books on scrolls and MANY OTHER DVD's and handpiece, microscope, vice....But I feel a teacher over my shoulder would minimize my learning curve by years! I will call the GRS training center tomorrow but I'm afraid they may not allow me to use my handpiece because it's made by the other guy.

Donny

You will be amazed at what you pick up just by being in the room with other engravers - let alone what you'll get from the instructor.

At the GRS Training Center they provide everything - your goodie bag should even have a pencil in it. So you only need to bring your Lindsey along if you're going to do like I do and set up to do some after hours work back in your hotel room. And you won't need to do that because you'll be able to go back in and work most evenings. If you haven't used GRS gear before figure on it taking you 10, maybe 15 minutes to get up to speed and after that you'll be able to use both kinds with no problems. I suspect that you, like me, will find there are a few things that are easier with one system than the other but in general it's the hand and the eye, not the handpiece and power unit.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ask them. For the masters class you can use different handsets. They might let you for another class.