Experience level and engraving classes.

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
If I decide to take an engraving class, how do I determine what level of class would I register for? I understand that no matter what class I take I would definitely learn something. I just wouldn't want to be out of my "league" and have to struggle all the way through the class if I took an advanced class. How do I know if I am beginner, intermediate, or ready for advanced class?

Dean

Elite Cafe Member
Joey, when I read your question, ( How do I know if I am beginner, intermediate, or ready for advanced class? ).....I would say if your not sure, start at the beginning with a basic , then as you feel you progress move on up. As someone just starting out myself I have seen work done by engravers that proclaim that they are a master, well in their mind they might be, however when comparing their work to others it is clear they are not at all masters.

Between this forum and Lindsay forum there is an unlimited amount of information to help anyone in the engraving world. I recently took Ray Covers basic course, and all I can say is it was more beneficial to me than I thought it would be. Ray is a great person and truly a master engraver as well as a master at teaching. As I progress I will take more advanced classes from him.

When I was starting out and reading a LOT of information on the two forums about where to begin, I read many many times in post that by taking a basic class to get started on the right path will cut your learning curve greatly, and taking that class did that.

Before taking the class I knew that I was doing it really bad really well, as what I thought was correct and looked good to me was of course not correct.

With all that said I wish you success in engraving and want to say Thank You again to the many people on the forums that I have wrote to , texted, and called to asked a million questions and they were to help ..

Borzzza

Elite Cafe Member
I took a beginner class for air assisted engraving before even buying my tools, so I was the only one in class who was not a professional jeweller with 5-10-20 years of experience, but we all were struggling to get our first cuts properly exactly the same way)))
I don’t know your experience and what kind of class you have in mind to take, but regarding air assisted engraving I can say for sure - even if you are good in h&ch or hand push should you start air assist engraving - you will definitely benefit from a beginners class.

Latest posts

Sponsors