Ever usefull sticky putty

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
I use sticky putty around the shop quite a bit. Here I am using it to place a word of hand written text onto a charm. This places the artwork right next to the piece under the scope as I copy it. I also use sticky putty to hold pieces while doing layout work on them. I can hold signet rings or most any object on a small piece of masonite board to do the layout work.
This make holding odd shapes very easy. Then I will either transfer them to shellac or other solid holding devices for engraving. Sticky putty also works well to clean up a watch back prior to opening the case when changing watch batteries. It seems I continually find new uses for the stuff. I even used it to actually assist holding a bulbous silver baby rattle while engraving it.

IMG_0016.jpg

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
by "sticky putty", do you mean the stuff sold for mounting posters, etc.? kinda like a kneadable eraser with damar varnish mixed in? (which, for all i know, is what it really is...) yes, it's pretty handy stuff. i like it for cleaning the chips off my bulino graver and for tilting/propping/positioning parts for photography.

Latest posts

Sponsors