ever make one of these

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
looking for design ideas on holding standard flat gravers for polishing on the bottom. having trouble doing this by holding the gravers with my fingers. need some kind of homebrued jig or holding fixture to achieve an even polish on the area. my fingers wobble too much when i try doing this.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Monk,
Might try thermo loc, lay graver flat, put a piece of paper or mylar on each side of graver to space the goop away from your stone, put on a glob and form it, might be worth a try. Good luck.
Mark

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
I bought the GRS Standard sharpening fixture #003 100 to do this. The clamping system works great on the old style flats, rounds, liners etc. Will securely and quickly hold a wide range of gravers with great repeatability except on round stock. But will hold round stock securely.

The fixture is not "dual angle". Cannot do heels on a square graver. Can only do the heels on flat gravers. Can do the face on a wide range of gravers.

I also use it for my watchmaker lathe gravers. By removing the sleeve on the lower clamp I can sharpen my lathe gravers without removing them from the handle.

This GRS fixture has somewhat limited uses, but what it does, it does very well. I am very happy with it.

The Crocker tool can do what you are trying to do, but unless you have one laying around to try, don't buy one even though it costs much less than the GRS fixture.

After buying the GRS tool, I quickly decided to sell 5 or 6 watchmaker and older graver fixtures that I had laying around. Paid for the GRS tool with money left over, and I ended up far better off.

monk

Staff member
thanks will try the thermloc first. will the grs unit allow polishing the entire graver bottom, or just the heel ? i guess the bottom, past the heel wouldn't have to be polished.

Last edited:

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Monk

I have used the GRS Dual Angle Sharpening Fixture (#003-570) to get a round Heel on a flat graver

I just set up the fixture to do a normal heel with the vertical lock loose.

I set the fixture on the stone at the desired heel angle then push down on the fixture thereby changing the heel angle as the fixture is lowered.

Do this a few times and then polish with 50K diamond dust on a spinning junk CD disk

Works for me

Ken

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
Put your graver in an handle like NGRAVER belgium style chisel handle.
This gives you 4 flats 5/16" wide,which you can use to index the flats.
Use Sams hand sharpening method shown to him by Lynton McKenzie.

God Bless,
michael

LGB

Link to Les Brooks sharpening tool

Monk,

Here is a link to the PDF file download which shows my tool and how to make one. I have 4 tools in the works to send out to some of the members here to try and see if we could improve the tool. I made the first one about 1989 and reading James Meeks book on his sharpening tool. I made mine so you could read the angles and make accurate changes fast. It will do all angles on the rounds and squares if they are about 1/8 inch blanks. Someone needs to make these tools. Contact me if you need more info.

Look here:
http://www.packratworkshop.com/pdf/engraver_tool_to_make.pdf

monk

Staff member
absolutely great looking project. i recall now, you posted some of the fotos quite some time back. time was i could have done this easily. a good friend gave me a key to his machine shop. lathes, bridgeports, all the good stuff. i could go there and create all manner of things at any time the shop was closed. thwnks for showing again.

Latest posts

Sponsors