EnSet vs Enset Plus

johnmoto

Hi chris perhaps you could help me I have just purchased a New Enset and I have a problem when I use a flat scorper worse when it is wider , what happens is it keeps spinning around , the ball bearing is not holding it in place it just pops out of its hole and spins around and I am not putting much pressure on it , it is very annoying as I wonted it mostly for channeling ,
Do you have an answer for this problem I would be most grateful.
Regards John

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi chris perhaps you could help me I have just purchased a New Enset and I have a problem when I use a flat scorper worse when it is wider , what happens is it keeps spinning around , the ball bearing is not holding it in place it just pops out of its hole and spins around and I am not putting much pressure on it , it is very annoying as I wonted it mostly for channeling ,
Regards John

John the best place to contact someone from Enset to help you is either to call them Tira I hear is very helpful or email them. WWW.engraver.com

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I tried the Enset at the show and was very impressed. However I have about 75 quick change gravers or more and the collets are different. If I buy one I will have to buy another 50 gravers and collets. That is hard for me to justify. I think the EnSet would be super for sculpturing.

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Regards John

Hi, John - I had the same problem when I tried to use the GRS QC flat gravers. The way I finally solved it was to go to a Lindsey system to make the flat gravers from 3/32" stock and they cut/rotated in the work just fine without the collet moving. The geometry of the QC graver removes the cutting point just enough off center to put too much radial force on the internal collet, and I'm guessing that collet system was not built built for significant radial "twisting" pressure (which is how you actually remove the collet). For a tighter fit, try the old machinists endmill enlarging trick of spinning the collet in a mill or lathe and applying a green cleaning pad to the side you insert; it might rough it up enough to reduce some play (counter intuitive, but it works on endmills and drills when you cut just slightly undersize, I swear). Bob

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Johnmoto, There are a couple of possible reasons why this may be happening. One is that the placement of the detent relative to the graver orientation is allowing the ball to be torqued out of the hole. I'm not sure where the detent it in relation to the cutting area of your tool, but if it is on the top or bottom it may come out easier than if it is on the left or right of the tool.

Second, I'm not sure which collets you are using. Originally, the EnSet collets did not have a second o-ring on the shaft that went into the tool. The newer collets have this second o-ring and it snugs up the collet and should help to prevent the collet from being torqued loose.

A third possibility is that you have a very long stroke length and the collet is being pushed out (slightly ejected) and when the detent comes out of the hole then it is allowing the sideways twisting movement.

As a fourth option - and I'm sure this isn't the case, but if the detent is in the stroke length movement slot and not the detent hole then the collet will not be secure and will move. The screw on the collet should line up with the plug on the hand piece.

If you have any questions please call me or e-mail me and I'll work with you to figure it out. :)

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As a fourth option - and I'm sure this isn't the case, but if the detent is in the stroke length movement slot and not the detent hole then the collet will not be secure and will move. The screw on the collet should line up with the plug on the hand piece.

For some reason that sounds like something I would do, if I had an Enset to do it with. :eek:

Sponsors