Engraving the M1 Garrand

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Just Kidding!:biggrin:

No, I would't actually engrave one, but I did do this Battle Cross on the main spring housing of a 1911 A1 project I'm just now starting.

The theme is dedicated to both the European and Pacific WW II Theaters - ships, airplanes, Generals and other mechanized military hardware hardware are already laid out in my mind and stewing. I needed to get this one off the ground, and I usually do that through concentration on one simple inlay. This iconic symbol needs about 10,000 more dots to shadow it correctly, but it's coming along nicely.

Fortunatley, Katerine Plumer has joined me in in this project to help tell the story with her beautiful ivory scrim on grips and knife scales. Check her progresss at http://blog.katherineplumer.com/2012/02/scrimshaw-video.html...click on "Greatest Generation Project" and you'll you'll understand that I have my work cut out for me!

More later..............:handpiece:

Last edited:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Perfect subject for that part of the gun Mike. Hope you bring it with you to Denver so I can admire it first hand.

Marty

Andrew Biggs

Looking good Mike and I'm looking forward to seeing the completed gun.

Mike Dubber engraver and Katherine Plumer scrimshander is a wonderful combination of talent.

Cheers
Andrew

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Marty and Andrew:

Marty - this one's scheduled for completion in October for the Colt Collectors Association Show - that also happens to be in Denver! I can bring a few parts for CGCA/Denver in May - perhaps get it ready for altitude!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
very classy looking, perhaps quietly elegant. i've used a garrand enough to know it has no place in my vise. maybe a project for the bold & the brave. with you two doing the 45, it should be one luscious looking work.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike
If the parts get plenty of carbs and lots of water, the altitude will be no problem for the gun parts.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the best handgun-- ever ! it saved my hindend twice ! it had taken a serious soaking in seawater the one time. no problem. sort of like a timex watch on steroids.

Latest posts

Sponsors