Engraving pearl

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,

I have been trying to engrave pearl. I can see from the cuts that it isn’t clean cuts. Small chips in the cuts so I`m wondering if anyone have tried it and if so, which angles do you use for a point.
To cut I have tried both with my air graver and with no air. I think that it is easier to control the graver without air.
Any suggestions friends?
Mike

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
I am using a microscope as well but what angles do you use on the graver tip?
Just curies if there is a preferred face and heal angle.

Mike

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
75degree c-max with 45 face and 15 heel.

i tried the 105 a few times, and did ok, but for the project the narrower graver worked better for me.

rodsta

Elite Cafe Member
For me either a 90 or 120, newly sharpened, with the power setting on the finest lightest setting with barely any foot pedal at all.... almost let it just idle which will help forward speed and keep the lightest touch with the graver. If you need deeper then go over it a little at a time. Usually get chips and such when trying to put too much power or cutting too deep.
Hope this helps,

Rod

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you take a pass at your lines with a fine graver (#50?) and then come back around your lines widening them, doing each side indavidually with a skewed flat up on edge... So the cutting edge is slicing down into your cuts. This will save you from chips , the pearl is laminated layers. A traditional approach to engraving will put outward pressure on the upper most layers.
Not saying you can't just run a v through it, but you have to take super little bites.
Another good option can be rotary tools, or hooked files.