Engraving of Henry Rifles

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
OK everyone I am reaching out into the far reaches and corners of Engraving knowledge. I have been given 2 Henry rifles to engrave on the top side of the receiver. These 2 rifles are from the Tribute collection the Military and Fireman Tribute rifles. The information that Henry rifle has on these receivers is that they are Nickel Plated and maybe a clear coat applied to them. Its funny this company does not really know allot about their Rifles and makeup. These receivers are not the brass ones nor is it the Brasilite they claim it is Nickel. So my question is Has any one attempted to engrave this model of the Henry Rifle. My customer just wants his sons name Hand Engraved on it. Any Help would be appreciated

Thanks for all of your help

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'll be curious to see how this one plays out Bill. I've turned down more Henry's than I can count in the last year. Most want a simple name or logo. Good luck!
Layne

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I refuse to engraving just lettering on a gun or a knife unless there other coverage to be done. J.J.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree with Sam on this one or cut the name in the barrel if the insist on engraving. The Henry rifles are just to unpredictable to fool with at the action. Unknown metal, is it paint or brass? clear coated? just to much.

JJ Roberts

I'm engraving a Henry rifle for a customer and it is solid brass no problems,just make sure it's brass before you do any engraving make a test cut in a place where it can't be seen. J.J.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
J.J. Is the brass not covered with a clear coat of lacquer on the Big Boys? What are you using to redo that or are you removing it totally? Perhaps doing a high polish? Fred

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
The brass Big Boy I did a year or do ago cut beautifully and there was no sign of a coating. Hard to explain why Henry Rifles couldn't or wouldn't be more helpful to engravers.

JJ Roberts

There was no lacquer coating on the Henry I'm engraving,I had no problems just make sure it solid brass if not don't engraving it. Fred Bowen I wish all the gun maker today where more helpful to engravers. J.J.

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Ok everyone I really appreciate the input on this one. Because I am not sure that this receiver is coated in someway ( As Henry Rifle support told me ) I am going to suggest that I engrave the Brass Butt Plate which is solid brass. Yes the people at Henry rifle gave me answers almost like they do not know how their rifles are made. Though on this Nickel Receiver I am a little suspicious as to their answer because my customer said that they offered him to anytime send the rifle back to them for any extra engraving he might want. Makes me think they are might want the engraving business for them selves.
Maybe one day when I have a $ 1000.00 to through away I will buy one of these Tribute Rifles with the Nickel Receiver and engrave it and give you guys a update.
As for lettering on guns I really like lettering. I can usually do a lettering job in a very short time which keeps my cash flowing. Plus people love how lettering looks on a Hand engraved item which makes a happy customer. I studied Lettering with Mike Dubber and I asked him if he does allot of Lettering jobs especially since he does some high end jobs that can take him a year or more and he told me basically the same thing Keeps the cash flowing and lettering is something he can do quickly and get a good income from it.

thanks again for all you input If someone one day get the courage to engrave one of these Nickel receivers please let us all know how it went.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bill,
Much like JJ mentioned, I won't do just a lettering job on a rifle as there is too much involved and it's cost prohibitive. One of the reasons is I've never felt comfortable cutting a fully assembled rifle or barreled action. Too unwieldy. Are you and/or Mike working on assembled guns? If so I'd love to know more.
Oh, and someone made a point of engraving the butt plate. I have done that and I think they are all solid brass. It's a good option if the customer insists but doesn't want a stock inlay.
Layne

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
The Henry I engraved was some mystery metal -- a magnet would not adhere to it -- which was plated at the factory with a healthy layer of copper topped-off with a thinner layer of brass.

The customer requested a long inscription on the right side and a large American Flag on the left.

The metal cut nicely, and the fairly deep lettering had a tricolor effect, showing the three layers of metal, which gave the letters a unique look in the sunlight. Apparently the customer liked it, as I have had no complaint.

Last edited:

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've also turned down about 50 Henry's this past year---all rimfire .22's----because of the plating over base metal.
I understand the centerfire rifles are all solid brass, but I could be wrong. Never got to engrave one of those.
...and Henry wasn't any help in answering any questions.

wdale.bass

I just finished a Henry 45-70 Govt in steel. the reciever cut really nice,the under plate was HARD as was the lever Just a couple of hard spots on the reciever by the ejection port.I sent the rifle back to Henry to remove the barrel because my gunsmith couldnt budge it.They returned it in 11 Days. They have a "process" for installing their barrels that make them hard to remove.I realigned it to the witness marks & with some rosin and proper fitting shims,& barrel clamps,she went right back to factory after engraving. A real fun rifle to engrave/C-Max all the way.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The big boys are brass with a high polish. The golden boys and nickel 22s are some aluminum alloy with a painted or plated finish. The brass golden boy is a baked on paint called brassite. The nickel, I assume, is nickel plating. I've cut several big boys. They are beautiful to cut. I won't touch the 22s due my lack of ability to recreate the finish.

joe seeley

On the 22's I engrave the lever only, the lever's reblue just fine, and there is sufficient room engrave a name, and a simple scroll to dress it up. I will not touch the plated receivers.

Joe

Latest posts

Sponsors