Engraving History

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
John, That looks a lot like the system 3. Have you used it? and if so how does it perform?

If you go to google patent searches. The early engraving needle that I listed before was usedn more for stippling. The piston did hit and make the needle point reciprocate. It shows a devive that pulsed the air. It's interesting how not much is new in the way things work. Just improvements that make them perform better. When you think about it The GRS system works on pulsed air like the one from the 1940's and The Lindsay system works on an oscilating system like the Danville air graver. The system three and the danville as well as the Lindsay all when veiwed as simple drawings all look similar. Chris

Andrew Biggs

Hi Chris

I've only ever seen photos of a System 3 tool and never actually tried one.

When I first saw the pamphlet John posted with the name "Air Graver" and the description I thought it sounded like an early Lindsay tool. Even the picture looks similar.

Cheers
Andrew

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,

Really looks like a early Chicago Pnumatic scribe to me.

Linsdays tools have no springs in them.

Very cool old history.

AirAmp

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Chris,
Here are some pictures of the Danville Air Graver.
I have limited experience with System 3 so you would be a better judge of if it is like that system.
The unit shown has not been used but I have used one to a limited degree in the past.
They require anywhere from 60-120 psi air.
The weakest feature is the foot pedal as it's just a hose pinching gizmo.
Hooked to a better pedal they work with more control.

Sam,
You said you had not seen one of these so I hope its ok for me to attach some pictures of it.
Just for information. I don't believe it's available from Danville anymore.
Just a bit of history on the evolution of power assisted hand engraving.

Attachments

• IMG_0451.jpg
    IMG_0451.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0452.jpg
    IMG_0452.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0453.jpg
    IMG_0453.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 155

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Airamp,
I also have have several of the old machine shop pnumatic scribes/stippling tools.
The best of these is one made by ARO Corp,model #8315 and made in Sweden.
Expensive little machine but good.
Don't use them much anymore as most of the tools on the market can be adjusted to give the same results. Do you still use them much ?
Best,

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi John,

No I don't use it at all.

The newer tools are so much easier to use and work perfectly.

The chicago that I have is just OK but a lindsay with a tungston piston can do anything I need and do it better.

Steve just came out with one that has a big bore and a tungston piston for engraving large bike parts. (small jackhammer)...

Your tool is a great piece of history. Thanks for showing it.

AirAmp

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've got a reciprocating tool that has cutting heads attached to it ( more like little chisels, than gravers. Run by a treadle, and belt driven. Don't know the date on it...
I think fairly called a precursor to powered graver

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I used a an air powered machine at Gist engravers back in the late 70's. It was used mainly for stippling, as we just used push gravers, and an NGRAVER foredom handpiece for gold overlays. I do not know what brand the airpowered tool was, but it was not GRS.
I remember it was a beautiful piece of machined aluminum. I believe it was made in connecticut. It did a wonderful job of stippling, and made a horrible racket on the domed buckles.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

I heard that Al Scott passed away recently. I learned this at the Texas Gun Collectors Spring Show in April of this year...It was told me by two friends/clients of Al's. Don't have any other substantiation but, have no reason to believe otherwise based on their association with him.

Weldon

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sam,

I heard that Al Scott passed away recently. I learned this at the Texas Gun Collectors Spring Show in April of this year...It was told me by two friends/clients of Al's. Don't have any other substantiation but, have no reason to believe otherwise based on their association with him.

Weldon

Sorry to hear that, Weldon. I've never met him, but I've seen videos of him engraving with his palm controlled handpiece invention.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm sorry to hear the sad news about Alvin Scott. About half of the engravers featured in my first book now belong to engraving history.

RB

Latest posts

Sponsors