Engraving History

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've seen lots of talk about the history of engraving, but not much on the evolution of modern "assisted" engraving. When did it start? Did it exist before GRS, Ngraver, and Lindsay?

Maybe someone could write a piece to be stored in the archives.
It might also be an informational article for the FEGA mag.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I think Don Glaser and John Rohner developed the gravermeister in the late '60s. Seems I remember Steve saying he or his dad were doing some pneumatic designs long ago also. Before that I don't know of any as we would define them.

Last edited:

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm working on John Rohner's history as we speak, for inclusion in an upcoming book. it will cover the development of some of this.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Yup, it was Rohner and Glaser who developed the first pneumatic engraving system, and Texas engraver Al Scott developed the world's first hand controlled engraving handpiece.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Does anyone know if Alvin Scott is still engraving? I have not heard his name come up in many years and I never knew he invented some type of powered freehand engraving tool. When I corresponded with him for American Engravers in 1979 he never mentioned the device. But in those days most engravers who used any type of power assisted tool kept a low profile about it because there was much unwarranted prejudice against anything but traditional tools.

CRB

Sam

Staff member
Roger: Al says he invented the handpiece in 1988 so that would have been quite a bit later than your book. For whatever reason it never took off. The knob of his handpiece moves as he pushes it which causes the piston to start striking. As far as I know he's still engraving with his invention.

JJ Roberts

Power Graver

Gun Digest 14th Annual Edition 1960, John H. Murphy wrote an article on power engraving.John built an engraving device powered by electric. This was1960 before GRS, Ngraver,or Lindsay. If you have a copy go to page 190, really interesting. John only engraved his own guns,he did some nice work. Has anyone ever meet Mr. Murphy? :thumbs up: J.J.Roberts

Sam

Staff member
Gun Digest 14th Annual Edition 1960, John H. Murphy wrote an article on power engraving.John built an engraving device powered by electric. This was1960 before GRS, Ngraver,or Lindsay. If you have a copy go to page 190, really interesting. John only engraved his own guns,he did some nice work. Has anyone ever meet Mr. Murphy? :thumbs up: J.J.Roberts

JJ: That is fascinating information. I'd love to see that electric engraving device. And in 1960 no less!

JJ Roberts

Power engraver

Sam & Scott, I Will mail off two pages of information today. Look in your mail Monday. J.J.Roberts :yes

Sam

Staff member
Thanks, JJ! I really appreciate it.

With today's technology I wonder if an electric handpiece with the power, finesse, and controllability of pneumatic handpieces would be possible. I tested an ultrasonic engraving handpiece in Japan a few years ago and it would cut, but just wasn't right. I think they use them for burnishing.

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
I know that Thomas Edison originally invented the dual oscillating relay coil machine for engraving back in the early 20th century, but that was more of a "vibrograver" type of engraver, more suitable for marking your tools than for actual engraving. This piece of equipment was later "re-purposed" as a tattoo machine, almost identical to tattoo machines used around the world today.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Updated info

HAND TOOL FOR METAL ENGRAVING
US Pat. 2392560 - Filed Jan 15, 1943
An engraving hand tool comprising an air container forming the head of the tool
and having at one end an air inlet adapted to receive air pulses, ...

It seems that the history of the modern engraving tool started much earlier than we thought. It used pulsed air as does the tools from GRS. I also found that the Air Graver was a tool carried by Brownells some time ago It was made by a company called Danville Engeneering

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris, I did a search for that patent and they have a PDf file with illustrations. the engraving portion looks very much like the tip fro an electric vibrating tool to mark metals. If I remember correctly both Benno Heune and Ray Viramontez started this way. Roger Bleile's "American Engravers" mentions Rays start and Beno's book mentions his if I recall correctly. Very interesting. Fred

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, Now that you mention it I went and got my American engravers and you are absolutely correct. Next time I see Ray (he lives in town) I will apologize. Thanks for the correction-Fred

SamW

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Fred, knowing Ray I doubt any apology would be necessary. I used to live across the street from Ray many years ago in Albany. We were both stationed at Turner AFB. ('65-'67) Tell him hello for me. He is the one that got me interested in and started in gun engraving. One of the best things ever to happen for me!

Regards,

Sam

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Hi Chris DeCamillis.
You are correct about the Danville Engineering Air Graver.
Thought you might like to see a scan of their little instruction book.
I have a machine still in the original box.
It came from Brownell's soon after Danville moved from Danville, Ca to San Ramon, CA. Their US patent is #6508315.
Best regards.

Attachments

• Danville Airgraver 001.jpg
    Danville Airgraver 001.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 179

Sam

Staff member
I have heard of this Air Graver by Danville Engineering but have never seen one. Can I assume this is a self-oscillating system?

I did own a small bead blaster made by Danville back in the 80's.

I just received JJ Robert's letter in the mail today with a copy of the engraving device made by John Murphy. I believe it's a 1960 edition of American Rifleman. Thank you, JJ! It's fascinating to see how far we've come with mechanical and pneumatic engraving handpieces. Just when I think it can't get any better, a new enhancement comes along and it is indeed better. Makes you wonder how much better it can get and how much farther it can go.

Latest posts

Sponsors