Engraving Historic Firearms

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
The NMLRA has sponsored a new book called Engraving Historic Firearms by John Schippers,from what I under stand Mr. Schippers has been working on this book for about ten years.Sounds like a must have book for the muzzleloader builder & engraver.The book will be out in mid December,just in time for Chirstmas.:clapping:J.J.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hmmm....I wonder why it never generated any comments when I mentioned it several weeks ago?????

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A Quick Review

I received my copy in the mail yesterday, did a quick page by page scan, and started reading it last nite. This book is destined to replace Meek's book as the standard for new engravers. It starts the student down the road with a series of instructions accompanied by numerous illustrations and text which is not filled with a bunch of technical jargon. IT IS UNDERSTANDABLE. Mr. Shipper's uses hammer and chisel for his basic work and hand push for detail. He also uses a Lindsay for very fine detail work.

The book is spiral bound so it can be laid near the bench. He lays out an ordered method where, as you progress thru the book, you learn basic cuts and then practice them before moving to the next section. As you progress, you learn how to cut various borders and how to build leaves and scrolls into a workable design. Every page has numerous color photos, diagrams, and designs which help you to progress.

While it focuses mainly on the rococco style used on muzzleloaders, perhaps 1/4th of the illustrations are of later breech loaders....Winchesters, Rolling blocks, trapdoors, etc.

I heartily recommend buying this book, whether you are a novice or advanced engraver. There is something in it for everyone. It can be purchased at http://www.nmlra.org/

JJ Roberts

I received my copy of the Shippers book yesterday and it is a book for anyone interested in learning engraving & muzzleloading firearms.J.J.

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Early Lancaster in Haines style.:hammer:

Attachments

• caldwellxample (6).jpg
    caldwellxample (6).jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 106
  • caldwellxample (2).JPG
    caldwellxample (2).JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 118
  • caldwellxample (9).JPG
    caldwellxample (9).JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 116
  • caldwellxample (3).JPG
    caldwellxample (3).JPG
    30 KB · Views: 108
  • caldwellxample (1).jpg
    caldwellxample (1).jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 104
  • caldwellxample (4).JPG
    caldwellxample (4).JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 97
  • caldwellxample (10).JPG
    caldwellxample (10).JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 97
  • caldwellxample (8).jpg
    caldwellxample (8).jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 94
  • caldwellxample (5).JPG
    caldwellxample (5).JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 95

JJ Roberts

Kent,That smoke pole turn out nice,have you ever been to the CLA Show in Lexington? I going in August.J.J.

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks JJ, flintlocks involve lots of disciplines an artform in themselves. to the CLA been invited, never went maybe this year. I'm not a member, a friend of mine is,I'm retired now so maybe.

JJ Roberts

Kent, I've never been to the CLA show but this year I going,lots of talented folks that come from all over the country.You should join the CLA,you'll find very friendly group. J.J. Keep up the good work.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just got my copy of Engraving Historic Firearms. That is one gorgeous book. The best hand engraving book I've seen. Lots of detailed explanations on sharpening, detailed explanations of constructing scrolls, and engraved scrolls. The pictures of the engraved firearms can't be beat. The shots are crystal clear and quite large. You can see the beautiful cutting that will provide hours of inspiration. I barely looked at it but there is much in there. I originally hesitated to buy this book but it is well worth it. My engraving book collection wouldn't have been complete without this book, everything is in this book. All I can say I can't be more pleased and am very excited to own this one of a kind bible of a book.

JJ Roberts

Ken,I told you that you would like Mr.Shippers book he did a fine job,enjoy buddy.J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors