Engraving gemstones

Champs Art

Hello everybody,
I am wearing an engraved gemstone ring with a monogram. I like the gemstone engraving like the picture. Can somebody tell me what kind of burs and equipment you need for this kind of handengraving?
Thanks a lot. Greetings from the Netherlands.
Johan de Champs

Attachments

• Siegelring_Einhorn.jpg
    Siegelring_Einhorn.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 111

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Johan: I've seen photos of a man engraving a coat of arms into a gemstone. He used a stationary handpiece mounted horizontally and held the stone in his fingers and moved it into the rotating burr. That's about all I know of the process. Your photo is a fine example of this art. I'd love to know more about it. / ~Sam

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the easy, safe way to cut/ carve/ shape these materials is with an xtra high rpm dental type hand drill. they accept all types of burrs, but the best are bonded diamond. the friction grip is the type hand piece to buy. it accepts carbide and diamond burrs. new bonded diamond burrs are available at patterson dental supply co. they will sell the burrs without restriction. don't get used diamonds from your dentist. these used ones almost always are worn away to the point of being useless to carve with. you don't really want to buy an actual dentist drill. these are way too expensive. there are companies that sell air turbine type high rpm drills that will do the job. you want a handpiece that will go at least 100,000 rpm, is friction grip, and for .062 burrs.

Latest posts

Sponsors