Engraving Crome

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There are two camps for this problem. To strip or not to strip is the question. Can you cut through the chrome? Yes. Might you have problems because the outer layer is hard and then the under layer is softer? Yes. Can you still make a good looking engraving through the chrome? Some people do. Might you have problems with the existing chrome chipping, flaking, scratching, etc.? Yes. Will you? It depends on how well the chrome layer was applied to begin with. Many people don't want the problems, but don't want to pay for the strip, re-polish and re-chrome which can be quite pricy ($75 on a derby cover and upwards of $400 on large parts). You also have to be careful that the chromer you work with won't leave it in the tank so that all your engraving fills in because then it is ruined. Some engravers only work on aluminum or parts that are not intended to ever be chromed. I personally won't engrave through the chrome, but many engravers do and are successful with happy customers.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i've learned the hard way. if it's plated, regardless of the item, i'll pass on it.

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
I will continue to take on the chrome jobs as they come, at least until I run into that chrome job that gives me trouble. I do not know if I will advertise that I work on these items. However the metals that give me pleasure to engrave in ( Gold, Silver, steel ) I will continue to pursue with open heart. Interesting thought I just finished engraving on a Gold wedding band, very expensive If I buggered it up it would be very expensive for me to replace but I really enjoyed working on it. As per the Harley gas cover I engraved with the chrome on it. I figured that if I ruined it the worst it would have cost me was $35.00 to replace. It was worth the experience to try it and now I know what it feels like to cut through and engrave a chrome item. I have engraved Stainless steel on knives that have given me more headaches however I think the look of pleasure and graditude from the customer is very rewarding and is also part of why I love Hand Engraving

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Engraving through chrome. . This is a two sided sword if the chrome is on brass or steel base your chances are fairly good depending on the chromer eg. zippo lighters. If the chrome is on an aluminum part motorcycle in particular your chances for success diminish greatly. Aluminum does not chrome well and the aluminum on motorcycle parts varies a lot. A mere stone chip will cause chrome to peel on an alumimum casing where it may not mark a more robusk steel based item. Take a look at a car bumper. If you choose to engrave the m/c cases remember the chrome can peal like a razor and you could end up with unsightly red stains or smears on the item you are working on bandaids could become helpful. Tira has done quite a few M/C pieces and has given some good advice. Try it if you wish but who will pay if the chrome peels either while engraving or shortly after.

Eric

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
When I cut through the chrome, I got some nasty deep cuts in my finger from the chrome "knives" I made with my graver. also it took a while to get the metal out of my finger.

Sponsors