Engraving course in uk?

Bigarmedmike

Hi I am a jobbing goldsmith and have decided to purchase either an airgraver or one of the GRS systems for engraving jewelery and stone setting. Before I purchase either system I was hoping to find an engraving course in the uk where these systems are used, I have found 2 courses ran by Wayne Parrott but I think only cover push engraving, and although this could be usefull I was hoping to find a course that used one of the GRS or airgraver systems so that I could see how they operate before I purchase.
Any advice on uk course or what system you think would be best for my needs would be welcome?
At the moment I have a few GRS push gravers and a GRS bench mate and I'm a beginner when it comes to engraving.
Thanks mike

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
There are several engravers on this forum from the U.K, of varying degrees of ability, ranging from world's best (or close to it) to fairly new. I won't name them, but a little search should enable you to find them. They would be the ones to ask, whether they know of a course or are willing to teach one. Most have GRS equipment and may also have Lindsay tools, so you could try both!

Bigarmedmike

Hi thanks, I have already looked into the course on the handengravers web site but I think it only covers push engraving as does the one in Dean, I would ideally like one that usen the Grs style system so I could get a feel for the machine and get advice on a set up. I suppose a push graving course could be a good place to start to learn the basics, tool sharpening etc and maybee someone there could advise me on the machines as well, any other links or members people know of in the uk let me know. Thanks again mike

PS_Bond

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Mike -

You're right, Wayne's course covers hand-pushed BUT it is a transferable skill to working with power (although t'other way round is perhaps less so). I don't know of anyone in the UK offering powered engraving instruction; I think Katia sticks to hand pushed too if memory serves.

I did the course a few years back - it was a week long then - and it was very, very good. He covered a lot of ground in a very short space of time; the pace was fast and there was a lot of work. I don't think we left the workshop before 2200 except on the last day. There's still bits in my notes I refer back to, and I still use push gravers particularly in setting work (still getting the hang of using power for that).

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Wayne Parrott was one of my tutors back in 1987, very nice teacher & highly skilled & hand engraver.
Certainly well worth having a few lessons with him whatever tools you use.

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
well Katia... actually i was in school with Franki DSVD in Geraardsbergen..we even were in same 4th class when Bon Scott died..
both of us big fans..with long hair.. so.. i am not so young anymore ;-)
so count me as a big fan of Channel Zero but you can always come over for a drink
cheers

katia

Oh My God!!! You were at school with Franki???!!! All I will say to you is: Run With The Torch!

PS: I must now have a serious conversation with master Lulu and see why he never mentioned you were so cool in your taste of music. Tut tut.
PPS: right, this is so not about engraving anymore! Sorry everyone, but wow, Frank went to school with Franki. Nuff said.

Latest posts

Sponsors