Question: Engraving books and magazines.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Does anyone know of any other engraving publications?

Books, Magazines...?

With the Firearms Engravers Guild of America (FEGA), are the fees annual or one off? Do you get anything other than four magazines a year for the membership?
I have seen a few editions of their magazines and they look good... the articles are interesting, the book's well presented, nice photos... a good read.

Thanks for reading and/or answering everybody.

Regards,

Danae.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Danae,My first book was The Art of Engraving by James B Meek but now there are many other books,an other fine book Engraving Historic Firearms by John Schippers, Art and Design Fundamentals by Lee Griffiths,Advanced Drawing of Scrolls by Ron Smith.I look at your facebook site you have a bright future,stunning work.:thumbsup: J.J.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Danae, the list of beginning books, and advanced, that I have is too numerous to list. Probably, I have well over $1k worth of books, in English, German, and Italian. Most don't really show you how, but they show you how those engravers "think' their art. It's what they like, and the styles they're drawn to (no pun intended). Most of my higher end books were gained at a gun show near Pittsburgh, and dealers in such texts frequent the bigger shows. Go to some, and leaf through the books, and see what you like. I have books on rings and jewelry, as well. As for the periodicals, I'm not sure that there many at all out there. I have older trade publications, but they're practically in the dust bin of history. Price, is another matter. Be prepared to pay, or haggle, but these books are not in large numbers, so the price is up there. Look around, and I know you'll like some that you see.

RoycroftRon

Elite Cafe Member
The Fega fee is an annual one, but with the quality of the publication as of late it is WELL worth it for the Engraver magazine. As with joining any organization the value of the membership increases with your level of participation.

As for books The Meeks book is a must have for the beginning engraver imo. Some good inspiration that shows a variety of styles and skills can be found in Roger Bleile's books (American Engraver's: the 21st century -"wow"). I also found Steel Canvas: the art of American arms by R.L. Wilson to be a good source for older guns.

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Danae, regarding FEGA, there are indeed four issues per year. For the quality of magazine produced, the price is a bargain... even with the international shipping.

However, that aside, in the members section of FEGA's website, there is an absolutely excellent (and free) 'How to' book, which contains just about all you need to know about engraving. The book has 104 pages and comes in PDF format, so can easily be printed for reference. It really is a wonderful book and in my opinion, should be recommended to everyone.

I can honestly say that book alone, is well worth the subscription price.

There is also a book on Bright cut and sculptured work... again, included in your subscription fee!! :)

Jo

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey JJ... Thanks for the encouragement. I'm hoping to be taking a future in engraving more seriously this year. I've just started building a shed so I have a decent workspace to spread out in. Quitting work isn't an option yet, but I am starting to hope that one day I can make a living from engraving. I certainly love doing it.

Danae,My first book was The Art of Engraving by James B Meek but now there are many other books,an other fine book Engraving Historic Firearms by John Schippers, Art and Design Fundamentals by Lee Griffiths,Advanced Drawing of Scrolls by Ron Smith.I look at your facebook site you have a bright future,stunning work.:thumbsup: J.J.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Does anyone have a top six books in their collection or the one or two they find themselves using most often?

Thanks Artemiss and Roycroftron for listing those books. It's so hard looking at the cover of books online and guessing whether or not they're worth buying.

I'm a country girl in Australia and don't get to see anything much in person before buying... so all your opinions are very much valued and appreciated.

Danae.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Danae, you might want to Google in, "IL GRANDE LIBRO DELLE INCISIONI" by Mario E. Nobili, Third Edition which is in English/Italian, for an example of the Master level of engraving/drawing that the kids in the Old Country undertake if they have the early ability. Don't know if you can see inside the book, as it may depend upon how it's posted. I have two copies. You may, or may not, lean toward this style/level of work. In black & white, it captures drawings, photos of engravers, and numerous work examples. It's an example of the numerous texts out there that inspire.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Dani girl
Nobili has published the latest version which is available now, "Creative Art, the Work of the Italian Masters" (?)
$119.00 shipping included.
This may be the latest version of the one that Ron was speaking of. Nobili's book is a must have as well as Roger Bleile's ," American Engravers of the 21st Century".
Also a must have is "Leonardo da V' " Francollini's posters.
At Leonard's web site he has a step by step tutorial that is also great. Google-Leonard Francollini engraver.
Leonardo's website will inspire/simplify his classical works to where years are cut off of your learning curve, as well as challenging you to soar with the eagles.
From what you have shown us, you are getting airworthy and just need to catch a good updraft to be able to soar!
Keep at it kiddo and remember, "One cut at a time!". :chip:
Jeff

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Creative Art, the Work of the Italian Masters ...where did you say this book was for sale?

Having trouble navigating that website... especially finding the leonardo De V poster.

Thanks so much for posting.

Danae.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Google-Conneticut Shotgun Manufacturing/Galazan Specials for the book. $99 + shipping. AWESOME!

Google-Leonard Francolini, engraver, for the posters and tutorials. $15+ shipping for each poster. AWESOME !
Combine both for a good shipping rate. :biggrin:

PM, if you can't locate.
Jeff

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Is anyone familiar with these books. I have never tried bolino yet so I'm not sure whether I'd get much out of them.

Firmo & Francesca Fracassi - Master Engravers

Giancarlo & Stefano Pedretti - Master Engravers

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Fracassi and Pedretti are both in the La Deli Inscicione (?) by Nobili. About every 4 or 5 years Nobili comes out with succeeding volumes ,1-5, maybe, so far, that feature the old AND new engravings of the Italian masters.

Creative Arts is a group of master Italian engravers that warrant their own book, just like Fracassi and Pedretti.
They have a fresh modern outlook, not wanting to belittle the other master engravers whose work is the epitomy and envy of the engraving world.
I have not seen the new C.A. book (on order) but I am assuming from pics and writeups that I am pretty much correct.

My sincerest apologies to the Fraccassi's and Pedretti's if I am incorrect. I do have two volumes of L.D.I. which are fantastic!
Jeff

mrthe

Creative Art book is not the same of the"il grande libro delle Incisioni" are two different books.

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Danae,

I think it would be a good idea to state whether you are looking for books as teaching aids, OR as reference books.
That way, you'll receive a lot better recommendations.

Jo

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Mrthe
I realize they are two different books.
That is why I stated above that the C.A. book pertains to C.A. and NOT F.&P, who is covered in L.D.I.
Jeff

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well... at present I'm only trying to teach myself, maybe one day I'll be passing that on to someone else.

Thanks everyone

Danae.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Books are wonderful. I too have probably spent $1000 US on engraving books. The advantage of having them is that you CAN take hours looking at each picture. I usually haven't though, but do look through each and mark the pages I want to study more.
Don't forget that you can see a lot of pictures on the internet. The Fabbri ( http://www.fabbri.it/#/guns )site has some amazing examples of different styles of engraving. Ruger does as well, probably Colt and S&W...all the gunmakers will want to show off their engraved pieces. This forum (and the Lindsay forum) have posters that show their work, equal to anything (and often found in) any of the books.
Without spending a lot, and a little searching on-line, an amazing amount of pictorial reference can be garnered, no matter how far out in the outback you are!
Will

Latest posts

Sponsors