Engraving Aprenticeship possible in Amerika?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oakleave

Engraving guns or jewlery is facinating and many people like to learn how to engrave.
But how can someone get started or advance in the art of engraving?
My post likes to shed some light on the aprenticeship system in Germany and its aplicability in the US.
I sucessfully finished a 3.5 year tool and diemaker aprenticeship and like to share my experience with you. In germany you start your aprenticeship usually when you are very young and after leaving school. With 16 you still live with your parents and you made the equivalent to 150-175 $ per month (1980)
In the US people change there profession sometimes when they are 30, 40 or 50. With 40 and responsibility you can not feed a family form an aprentice salery.
There is a training curiculum which covers theory and practice. Once a week you go to the Berufsschule (Commercial college) the rest you spent in the facory. This combination of theory and real world work gives the aprenticeship its unique advantage. This wouldent be possible in the US because we do not have a nation wide Engravers Curiculum. In the 3.5 years the aprentice spents around 6600 hours in the trade learning and practicing. Compare this to a one week cours with maybe 40 hours.
It is not just seeing how it is done it is practicing for a paying custumer who acepts your product.
This repitition over hunderes of units gives the aprentice the comparitive advantage.

A US aplicable possibility could be what is used in aviation training. In FAR 141 Flight Academy's you use blended learning. This is utilising computer, online learning aids and flight instructors parallel. The applicant preperes with the use of a computer or internet, can finish his tests on the internet and a flight instructor flys with him and answers his questions and gives him a feedback.
For engraving this could mean a candidat could attend courses, watch DVDs, attend Converences and have a Master engraver as Mentor to get the feedback and tips for the dayly work.

Have a wonderfull day
Bernie

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wie geht es ihnen, Bernie? It was interesting to see your post, and read of your experiences in Germany. As to your suggestions at the end of your post, I think that is how a lot of engravers in the US are doing it these days. Maybe you are talking about something that would be more structured and governed by a guild or other body, but lacking that, this is the main pathway americans seem to be taking.

mrthe

Hello Oakleave,
The correct spelling is America not Amerika. Please don't disrespect this country.

Thank you,
If Bernie is German "Amerika" is a translation of America in his lenguage if i'm not wrong,i don't think is a disrespect only a bad translation maybe ;)

Last edited:

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
Please Google the definition of the German spelling and how it is used when talking about the U.S...... If this was translated from German via a computer it would of used the correct "C".

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
I am fluent in both languages unless they chanced their grammar in the last 30 years it would be k.... it was when I was still in school ;)

Peter

langenscheid.jpg

Last edited:

mrthe

Dulltool definition from wikipedia talking about the word America/American in others lenguages:
" For example, the word "Amerika" in German has a one-to-one equivalence to its meaning in modern English: it may denote North America, South America, or both, and in some instances refers to the United States only."

I'm not an expert in German lenguage but i can't see nothing wrong in use it, only an translating error maybe.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OH please!!!!! None of this is soap box worthy.I am more interested in hearing about apprenticeship concepts than if a guy can spell.But it might be a part of a lesson under my tutelage!!!!

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
All this from a country that can't spell ALUMINIUM! As Homer Simpson once said "English? Who needs to learn English? I'm never going to go to England!" Semantics or apprenticeships, I wonder which will be more fun???:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here in the US I served a four year apprenticeship as a Joiner (Cabinetmaker) through The United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America (Carpenters Union). I started at 22 and applied through the Union rather than a shop. I spent the first six months in school at the education center sponsored by the Brotherhood and a group of business owners dedicated to having a steady supply of skilled cabinet makers. I worked part-time (4 Hours per day) in various shops doing sweeping and related cleanup chores and general gofer work at half journeyman pay. I studied safety, joints, history, design, etc. with increasing hours in the shop and less time in school until I worked full time and went to school at night. Responsibilities increased as I covered various aspects of the trade. Machine operations, finishing and so forth. Pay raises occurred on 6 month intervals until I took my journeymen's test after the full four years. After two years in the shops I was assigned my first apprentice. Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Sponsors