Engraver's collection Whatzit?

rodsta

Elite Cafe Member
Hi. I just received a collection of gravers and among the usual liners, setting points, and flats there were these strange birds in there.
Any ideas what they were used for?
The graver on the left has it's cutting edge on the front for the full length.
The middle one is a flat graver on the front edge
The Right one is large and has a cutting edge on the front for the full tang.
Also among the stuff is a cute little bench dog I believe. It doesn't appear to hold really well but then I don't have it attached to anything...any hints?

Picture 4.jpg Picture 3.jpg

Last edited:

mrthe

This tools remembers me a tool that one of my sculpture teacher Arnaldo Pomodoro show me one day how to build it when i study in his workshop.
He make some similar tools from olds files to use it with the help of a rule to make very deep lines in copper or brass large plates for after fold it in 90 degree angles

bthomas

The very first picture...I have a "what is it" question...could this be a hold down device?

I am thinking if the screw were to thread directly into the vise or "V" table support, plate etc [which would have to have a purpose threaded hole for that reason] and then if the handle acts as a cam it could lock against the stack of washers. The washers themselves could be a sort of adjusting shim set which set the height of the flat clamp [to the thickness of the work piece].

Does the lever handle have an offset hole and will it "flip" down jamming against the washer set if the device is threaded into a hole.

Bill

Last edited:

rodsta

Elite Cafe Member
Bill I'm pretty sure it is a hold down device....I haven't put it "into" anything yet to see if it works. You may be onto something with the amount of washers being the height adjuster...It seems like the little flat lever piece may be a way of unlocking the dog arm from the work...

Paulo-All 3 of these are made friom files and the tops of the handles have alot of little dimples in them as if they were hit from the top with a very small almost ball peen hammer....Hmmm

bthomas

OK---a second thought....could be way off but visualize the hold down bar pressing on the back of one the 3 pieces made from files [the ones we all initially think are gravers] .......the sharp point of the bent tools could be a set of clamps to lock down an inlay hokding it in place and keep it from creeping as it is being hammered in. I think I recall FEGA tape where Frank Hendricks showed something like these for that purpose.

Bill

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you betcha ! if one knows propper annealing and re tempering, most any old file can acheive a new life. i have several in such service as chisels for my woodlathe. needle files in particular, can be fashioned into very nice gravers. not too much effort needed to re-work these little gems. i will occasionally use a few that i've re-done.

Latest posts

Sponsors