Engravers Cafe Inspirational and Philosophical Daily Quotes Section

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would like to start an Engravers Cafe Inspirational and Daily Philosophical Quotes Section. The purpose of this section would be words to help engravers create and maintain the proper mindset for engraving.
So I'll get things started.

Famous genius quotes:

Albert Einstein:

“Genius is 1% talent and 99% percent hard work...”

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its' ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

Thomas Edison is credited as saying:

"Genius-is-one-percent-inspiration-ninety-nine-percent-perspiration".

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/g...spiration.html

One old engraver I knew named John Sumner, now long gone, used to say "If you can't draw them, you can't cut them."

On Art and Fear: Selected (Quotes from the Book "Observations on the Perils and Rewards of Artmaking by David Bayles and Ted Orland.)

"Artists don't get down to work until the pain of working is exceeded by the pain of not working". -Stephen Destaebler

On Creating One of A Kind Work:
"You could not step twice into the same river, for other waters are ever flowing onto you". -Heralclitus (ca.. 540-480B.C.)

"When bankers get together for dinner, they discuss Art. When artists get together for dinner, they discuss money." -Oscar Wilde

On Drawing:

When my daughter was seven years old, she asked me one day what I did at work. I told her I worked at the college - that my job was to tell people how to draw.
She stared back at me incredulous, and said, "You mean they forgot?"
-Howard Ikemoto

On Learning Inquiries:

"The answers you get depend on the questions you ask." -Thomas Kuhn

On computers:

Computers are useless - all they give you are answers." -Pablo Picasso

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
With regard to the exceptional engraving being done today: "If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton 1643-1727

Some of those giants are Dürer, Nimschke, Kornbrath, Griebel, Meek, McKenzie, Delcour, Grifnée, and Galeazzi.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Engravers Mantra:

Respect...............................for what you are doing!
Health.................................to pursue engraving with all your passion, energy and commitment!
Wisdom...............................to know why you are doing it!
Quality over quantity.............to continue to master all techniques no matter how much time is required!

Quantity should not be an issue until respect, health, wisdom and quality are imprinted in all that you do!

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
quotes

To things in the world that will never let you down,your Mom and your dog.Will Rogers.:biggrin: J.J.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
my daily reminder...

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 85
  • photo_2.jpg
    photo_2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 85

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overboard attempts at feats for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." From Shippers book quoted from Wilbur Wright

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"It takes 20 years to become really competent, but it takes at least 30 years to be perfect.`` Only then, perhaps, can an engraver aspire to the title of maestro incisore, or master engraver." Julio Timpini, Beretta Chief Engraver quoted in the Chicago Tribune, 1990.

I can't say that I agree with Julio on this issue.

Roger

Latest posts

Sponsors