Engraved Tudor bronze

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Looks fab Sam. I was considering carving a watch, this is inspirational stuff.

Thanks Marcus. There are a few bronze watches out there and it cuts and patinas like a dream. I'm certain Rolex 904 won't be nearly as cooperative.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Marcus. There are a few bronze watches out there and it cuts and patinas like a dream. I'm certain Rolex 904 won't be nearly as cooperative.

That is my fear. You can't go hitting these cases too hard as the tolerances are critical. Bronze sounds really great though. The new Tudors are lovely looking watches I must admit.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
marvellous sculpting i think. tyvm for showing. nice stuff to stare at.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
engraved-tudor-bronze-top.jpg

Masterful work. I like how you leave the punch finish, and how even it is. Great stuff.

Thank you Brian. I tend to like the texture the punches leave, and I texture the faces of the punches as well. Then again I love the beautifully finished smooth sculpting I see Phil Coggan and others (you included) do. I've studied a lot of chasing on antique clocks and other gilded pieces so I sort of gravitate to that look. When it's done right it's wonderful, and that's what I aspire to. The patina on this throws me off a bit as it gets awkwardly dark in some places.

Here's a top shot. Sorry for the blurred second hand.

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member

904 is pretty mean spirited to machine in a mill or lathe, I can only imagine that engraving it could cause a person to lose their mind! I would think that carbide is too brittle to use on 904... is HSS the best choice?