Engraved Shibuichi Miseretto Dagger

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
I finally got this little “miseretto†dagger finished, after months of work on it. There were several additional skills and techniques I needed to pick up along the way to complete it, to include alloying and casting/rolling my own shibuichi, and shaping tiny 3D gold inlays.

What is a miseretto you ask? It’s my idea of a cross between a medieval misericorde (a “mercy†weapon, for delivering the final “merciful†stroke) and an Italian stiletto, with a little Japanese kozuka thrown in for good measure.

Ants_Miseretto_1.jpg Ants_Miseretto_2.jpg
It’s 7 1/2 inches overall, with a 3 3/4 inch blade. The blade and full tang are 1080 steel, the engraved, inlaid and carved handle scales are 25% shibuichi (25% silver, 75% copper), with silver pins, and 24 karat gold inlay. The display and storage stand/box is bocote, walnut and boxwood.

If you’re really a glutton for punishment, you can see a 21 part ad nauseum blow-by-blow description of the entire process at my blog. Part 1 (Making Shibuichi) starts here: http://sterlingsculptures.com/wp/?p=1266

Thanks for looking!

mrthe

Look very nice! And thank you for the tutorial link too,will be great see a close up photo of the engraving,because i can't appreciate it very well and seem very interesting,thank you ;)

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had a sneak preview on your blog last week,nice tutorial there and incredible work,
Thanks for sharing!!!
Willem

Last edited:

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the kind words, folks! I'm really stoked you've liked both my little dagger and the tutorial. I had a lot of enjoyment making them both!

Tom

Latest posts

Sponsors