Question: Engraved Buntline

trapdoor2958

I have this beautifully engraved Colt Buntline in 45 calibur and am interested in uncovering the engravers name.
There is no signature that I can find but it appears to be hand done and finished in silver.
The serial nunber is 381XXSA which makes it a late 1963 manufactured piece.
Any help would be appreciated.
Questions are also helpfull.
Thanks
Bob

Attachments

• IMG_0639.jpg
    IMG_0639.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0640.jpg
    IMG_0640.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0641.jpg
    IMG_0641.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Bob,

I don't recall engraving that one but a lot of water has gone under the bridge since I started in 1979. It does have a lot of similarities to patterns we used though. Dad & I both signed single actions by the cylinder pin on the frame. His signature was "WEL" & mine is either "WEL Jr" or it'll be stamped Lister.
There is a chance that it was done by either Oscar Flores or Jim Riggs....but.....look for the mark & let us know what you find.

WL

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Horacio Acevedo, John Adams, Ben Lane, or even Alvin White and many others are all possibilities on a piece like that, I would take a look under the grips.

trapdoor2958

Thanks for the help so far but "I ain't there yet!"
I pulled the grips again and found only the serial number. No other markings. Great one piece Ivory grips just beginning to show their age.
Also I pulled the cylinder pin and can find no markings other than the scroll engraving.
Still looking for suggestions.
Bob

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Bob, if your factory letter says to what part of the country the SAA was shipped that might help narrow the list of possible names. It does not appear to me to have been done in Germany or Japan, which would have been favorite out of country places for engraving in the '60s.

trapdoor2958

The Colt was shipped to Houston, TX in May 1964.
Of those listed by Mr. Sands (above) are any in the Houston area?
Thanks
Bob

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Acevedo is desceased and was a Mexican, White is also desceased and lived in New England (I have never seen anything like yours done by White). Ben Lane lives in Colorado but lived in Amarillo, TX in 1964. John Adams and his son are in Vermont.

If it isn't one of the Listers I would place my bet on Oscar Flores or Jim Riggs.

Sponsors