Engraved Almar pocket knife

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
I had a customer who gave me multiple projects to engrave a pendant, a knife and a money clip. I just finished engraving the knife hope you like

Attachments

• Mark Farley Engraved Knife 2.jpg
    Mark Farley Engraved Knife 2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 241
  • Mark Farley Engraved Knife 4.jpg
    Mark Farley Engraved Knife 4.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 241
  • Mark Farley Engraved Knife 1.jpg
    Mark Farley Engraved Knife 1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 238
  • Mark Farley Engraved Knife 3.jpg
    Mark Farley Engraved Knife 3.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bill,

I really like the design you have cut, well done!

What kind of price range is the unengraved knife? Is it stainless engravable, or silver clad?

Rod

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Rod

If you go to the GRS WEB site and search for Al Mar Knives you will find this knife and others These are beautiful well made Stainless knives and their prices are good. By the way I have not received a email back from you as to my trip up your way. Did you get it ? I would like to plan on coming before you go on your walk-about.
Also I really appreciate your comment

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Monk and Andrew thank you for the comments. I am happy with this knife However I still have a long way to go. You guys are such a inspiration to me and Andrew I really enjoyed the video of you at Baselworld. One of the local Jewelers here has talked to me about setting up and presenting at one of their Art on the street shows How difficult is it to engrave while everyone is watching you and asking you questions. See what I mean by you inspiring me because I hope to one day be good enough that I could do a big show. In the mean time I still have allot to learn and I will keep posting to show where I am

Again Thanks

Andrew Biggs

Hi Bill

If you have an opportunity at a fair or show of some sort you should do it. The first time you do you'll be crapping yourself and just about be a nervous wreck. But that's okay as most of the people around you will never know that your stomach is turning to acid and your bowels starting to liquify. :)

The key to doing a demonstration or presentation of some sort is to just relax, have fun and enjoy yourself. Be yourself and if things go pear shaped, as they will at some stage…………… just keep calm and carry on. People don't realistically expect you to be doing your best work at a show so keep the projects simple and easy.........and if they are a bit rough, it doesn't matter.

Always remember that fortune favours the bold……………….. you'll be just fine :)

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew
I am glad you are telling me this, as this goes right along with a post Chris Decamillis posted a couple of years ago about getting started in the Engraving Business. I have been studying engraving now for about 13 years and always tried to listen to my Mentors about not getting out to soon into the business world and I listened to them up until 2 years ago. Now I am applying what Chris D and you have said and I am becoming more and more busy with Engraving work and I have had very happy customers recommending me.
Thanks to all of the Engravers who have been doing this for many years and sharing not only your engraving knowledge but also you business knowledge.
I will continue to post my work so I can continue being directed by a great crowd of accomplished engravers like yourself.
Thanks again.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I suggest also, like Andrew said, do local art/craft shows, and by all means have some completed work on display. The main thing to remember though is to just relax and have a good time. People want to see what you do and how it is done, so having your engraving setup with a little work going on is amazing to them. Most people have a "Wal-Mart" mentality when it comes to engraving, as all they have seen is the local kid at the mall kiosk playing with the engraving computer. True artistic ability and execution are new to them. I love it when someone picks up one of my pieces, looks it over and then asks the proverbial question....how much is this? When the price is told, their look turns to one of amazement and disbelief and they then gently put it back on the table. I never put a price on my display pieces and that has opened doors to some good (and some dumb and scary) conversations. Of course, the price for those pieces for sale are prominently displayed. You will find the art show experience a lot of fun and entertaining, as long as you take it all in stride and just have fun meeting people and enlightening them to the craft. Have fun and enjoy it.

Bill

Sponsors