Engraved 1903 hammerless Colt

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This one was a cool project and very different than the norm. The theme is an Art Nouveau theme based on one of my favorite artist of that period, Alphonse Mucha. I scrimmed the grips with two of the girls from Muchas "Star" series.

The scroll pattern I developed from a lily type flower that Mucha used in several of his designs. Designing a new scroll pattern from scratch was probably the hardest part of the job. After the gun was blued I did a selective french gray to give some contrast to the floral scroll making it stand out from the blued background.

This was very hard to photograph. I had a hard time getting the right exposure to make both the scrim and the engraving show up properly. It looks a lot better in person. Of course, mos things I photograph do:thinking:

Colt2a.jpg Colt1a.jpg

Dragonsfire

I just drooled all over key board! My initial thought was silver inlay, but, the French grey is fabulous! And of course your scrim is EPIC!

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
looks a lot better in person!!!!

Ray
As a leaf lover
ARE YOU PULLING OUR CHAIN :shock:
That is very sweeeeeeet !!!! I am lost for word just fantastic.
When I see work like this Istart to think I should sell my kit :thinking: and take up knitting :biggrin:

Thats a :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: in my book.
Ray
PS If you do get some high res photos please let me know would love to study it larger ??

Last edited:

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Droole

dragonfire
my key board the same slippery as a cod boats bilge, we see some nice work on here but this is NICE :thumbsup:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That's a killer piece, Ray. I'm a Mucha fan myself and you did him justice for sure. That floral motif is to die for. I hope you grab that and run with it as it's a really NICE treatment. :clapping:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ray, Your choice of inspiration is fabulous. You scrim is without a dought top shelf. Deciding to sit down and design a new style of scroll is truly pioneering. Your choice of style is unique and will,l I think, be remembered by many as a turning point in design on firearms. Certainly a change from same old same old. Very well done. You are a shaker. Fred

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks guys,

I walked out on a limb to do something different with this not really knowing how well it would be received. Its nice to see it get a good reception. I appreciate the feedback.

Ray

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful work Ray, but you always produce great work. I love the effect you got using the french gray.