English Scroll

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
After seven years away from a hammer and chisel, and with the applause given for my first coin, I wondered if I could actually engrave in steel. A friend of mine gave me this Smith and Wesson stainless steel knife. It has been in my salt water tackle box for many years; it has gutted fish and cut bait and never had a trace of rust. It is scratched and used, and I decided to see if I could engrave it. English scroll is what I first learned to cut when I studied at Bottega Incisioni di Cesare Giovanelli a long time ago.
I remember my teachers insisting that my cuts were too deep and that I must learn to control the chisel until I could make smooth hairline cuts. I practiced day after day until I could cut a line the width of a *****’s hair. Then my teacher said,â€￾ Now you must learn to cut deeper.â€￾ On this knife the first cut was along one side next to the blade. As you can see I was out of practice and badly mangled the cut and the tool point. It took awhile to adjust to the hardness of the steel and recover the rhythm of hand engraving. I enjoyed the work so much that I have sold my boat, jettisoned the rock and fishhook and am going to buy a decent vise and a few good engraving tools and return to work at a leisurely pace even though, at 70 years old, my coordination is not what it once was. My teacher one day said to me, “You will never be a good engraver.â€￾ Why? I asked. His answer was,â€￾ Because you have too many tools. To be a good engraver you must learn to use one tool and make it do every thing that those other tools are used forâ€￾ Recalling those wonderful Italian school days, here is my rusty version of English scroll and my limited tool selection.

Attachments

• pocketknife 008.jpg
    pocketknife 008.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 401
  • pocketknife 013.jpg
    pocketknife 013.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 431
  • pocketknife 017.jpg
    pocketknife 017.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 320

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm glad to see you are at it again Joseph! Nice work for one who's skills were not used for so long. For all of those that believe you MUST have the latest microscope, air powered gravers, and sophisticated sharpening system to learn engraving, here is proof of all you need if you have the skill.

Roger

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
THE IMPORTANT FACT IS THAT YOU ARE AN ENGRAVER ! nobody will stand in judgement upon you. if you enjoy the art, that's what counts. let the critics be damned !

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know what your teacher meant Joseph. Often I use the same graver for outlining and shading and will only change it if it breaks. I mainly do this for speed. However, when doing gold inlay it can mean swapping between 3 or 4 tools every few seconds.

As a constructive critique, if you use mainly double cuts to form the inside work instead of the cheaper, more commercial, continental single cut it will make your work stand out and become interesting instead of boring and repetitive (I noticed you double cut on the first picture but no where near as much on the other). Also, try and keep all the scrolls growing in the same general direction instead of folding back against the flow as in the second picture where it stands out like a sore thumb; the panel by the lock release grows forward towards the blade but suddenly one scroll comes backwards towards the larger scroll. Nothing wrong with it per say but it jars the eye and is not particularly aesthetically pleasing.

What was the steel like to cut?

Last edited:

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Joseph

I admire your writing as much as your engraving. I too am a retread and been at my reserection for about two years now. Got away from engraving after about 15 years and did a lot of sign painting before forced retirement , bad lungs. After 15 years of mostly fishing and camping I came across a chance to buy an engraving machine and hand tools. They are now my main intrest of choice.

I use hand push tools and purchased about 20 different sizes and the patented adjustable handles for them. So far I've set up 10 of them. I am lucky to have found this site. It not only helps me improve my skill It helps me to have the will to continue. At the age of 68 with some chronic disabilities, that is important.

Hope to see more of your work it is very good.

Jim Sackett

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
Rodger, It is my greatest desire to inspire others to learn the noble art of engraving with simple tools.

Andrew, Thanks for the smile, and editing my post. I meant to say cat’s hair.

Monk, you express my sentiment perfectly.

Stephen, Is that not what life should be all about?

Marcus, Thank you for responding. That particular scroll is one I wish I never added. I knew it looked bad after the fact. I did not put a great deal of thought into the design, and I was more interested in trying to recover the feel of the tool and accuracy in my cuts. The steel was quite hard; the burin would not hold its point. Initially I had many slips and broken points but after playing with the angles a bit the work improved.

Jim, My wife is my editor; she helped me to edit and publish my book A Gifted Man. So far I have been blessed with good health and hope to work for another 10 years. Have a great day.
Joseph

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
Joseph.

I am glad that you have decided to pick the engraving tools back up, and give us your wisdom. I have always enjoyed everything that you have contributed to this forum.

I look forward to seeing more of your work, stories, and wisdom.

Mike

P.S. Loved the knife.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
...if you use mainly double cuts to form the inside work instead of the cheaper, more commercial, continental single cut it will make your work stand out ...

Marcus,

Could you please give us a simple illustration of the double cut compared with the continental single cut. I was not familiar with this terminology until now and am interested in how you define this but for me a picture is worth a thousand words even a very simple sketch.

Thanks,

Roger

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Joseph,
Good to hear you are back at it again. Too much talent to waste. It will smooth back out again with some minimal practice. That long layoff just takes a little toll on your timing, thats all, but it won't take long to get it back, and with the proper vise and such, that will make a bit of difference. You might be surprised at the new found energy that a layoff provides, and some of my greatest advancements have been during a layoff. You might say how can that be since you aren't practicing or cutting? The fact is once the cutting skills have reached their peak, the time out seems to influence your creativity and designing rather than tool handling.

Welcome back my friend, Will I see you at Reno again now?

Ron S

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
Ron,Thanks for the encouraging advice.I feel that old excitement I had when starting a new project.Doing the research and mentally planning the project.I have been asked to engrave a Colt auto for a Macho who fights roosters and is connected to things I care not to know about.I turned the work down.I am finished with knives and firearms.I have decided to do some things in silver.I have been living in a climate that is always mild and can no longer tolerate cold.I would enjoy seeing the guild show once again,but not in Jan. in Nevada.Your friend joseph

Latest posts

Sponsors