Announcement: English Fine Scroll instructional kit

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd like to say a huge thank you to all of you who have purchased my instructional materials and castings over the past few weeks. Your response has been absolutely amazing as are the kind words some of you have taken the time to write about it. I can't tell you how nervous I was about publishing it and how it would be received.

I am hoping (when I get time) to start doing some additional tutorials here on the Café. From the pictures of fine scroll that some of you have started posting there are a couple of things I've seen that might need addressing which should help.

As I said in the book, you guys really need to be able to hone your observational skills because you don't have a teacher alongside you to put you back on the right track if you start to wander. This is not an easy thing to do, but it is an essential skill to develop if you can. And in the tutorials I hope to be able to help you with this if I can.

Please do continue to post pictures of your English scroll attempts and progress as it will help me help you. Sorry if I can't comment on every individual's work but I don't have the time at the moment. But rest assured, I do look and am storing things I see for the future tutorials.

For those of you who have yet to purchase the kit I am now down to the last few copies of this edition and orders are still trickling in. So, if you are still thinking about whether or not to get a copy I suggest that you act soon to avoid disappointment as when these are sold there will have to be a price increase as I won't be ordering from the printer and duplicator in large numbers.

Many thanks once again, and let's show the world once again what a wonderful style English fine scroll is when done properly.:graver:

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
From the pictures of fine scroll that some of you have started posting there are a couple of things I've seen that might need addressing which should help.

products are like battle plans- they must be changed, adjusted, and adapted after first contact with the enemy.

;)

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Yep, learning to see is a big thing.
Understanding & theory is great.
Getting a kinda sorta resemblance is easy enough, but it'll take abit of time to actually "get it" good & proper.
It's those details & obvious things that seem to get lost when cutting.

vslynes

I received my copy of the dvd's, book and castings a couple days ago and they are absolutely fantastic! The book and dvd's are well done and the castings are absolutely amazing! If anyone hasn't got theirs yet I highly recommend you add these to your reference library!

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You've done the engraving world a service with this Marcus. You should have no fear of Fine English dying out now. And I for one am having a ball engraving in this manner. Brings me back to my roots as a jewelry engraver. Same motions and techniques for quite a lot of the work.
Thanks again!
Layne

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
After staring at it for (literally) years I think I finally understand the key bit about English Fine Scroll now.

In most scroll forms you cut to outline the foreground elements, and then you cut away background as needed.
In English Fine Scroll you only cut the background but you do it in a precise and controlled manner that winds up leaving your desired foreground.

"Cut for the black" makes much more sense once you realize what you're doing. And your admonition to really look, really see does as well, once you have a good example to look at under strong magnification. The double plunge cut forms - to the naked eye - the sweeping S curve that forms the front of a tendril. If you really look it generally leaves at least one little 'thorn' that can only really be seen with magnification. And that's why it's English Fine Scroll - make it too big and the viewer's eye will no longer blend the lines as needed.

Unfortunately the day job is going to be in the way for a few days, but my next bench time I should have something at least good enough to show. In the meantime I need to practice filling a space with scroll spines and that's the kind of thing I can slip in during slow bits at work. :pencil:

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
I found trying to fit just a few scrolls tight enough a chalenge, I had on my last effort a few "gaps" which posed a problem to fill, but by eye , not so drastic.
Still, judging by Marcus's casting, It's still a long way off despite lots of "wow" by public :rolleyes:
"Normal" people have absolutely no concept of good work when it comes to jewellery or engraving ect...

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I would have paid an additional amount to have a sharpened graver included. Trying workout the proper size face and the grinding on the back is a small(read HUGE) challenge. But it is my singular goal this weekend:thumbsup:

Aside from that I am OVERLY pleased with the instruction, content, packaging, and the castings were/are a must. :tiphat:

Donny