Announcement: Emerging Artist Contest At High Noon

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Emerging Artist contest was held at the High Noon antiques show and sale this Last weekend. It is an event that was conceived last year by the TCAA. It is a contest designed to bring attention to up and comers in the four disciplines that comprise the scope of work done by the TCAA.This years contest included Silversmiths and Saddle Makers. The winners of each category is awarded 1000.00 and a trip to the NCWHM In OKC this fall to attend the Cowboy Crossings art show opening and sale.
Next years contest will comprise of rawhide braiders and bit and spur makers. This years winners were Conley Walker in the Saddle-makers division and Matt Litz for Silversmith. Congratulations to you both and thank you to all of the participants for being willing to put your best work forward.
I am sure that more information will be forth coming and many of you will want to know more about this event. I think more press will be out on the TCAA and the NCWHM sites soon.

BTW there were two whiskey flasks in the sliversmithing divisions!!!!!! :tiphat::clapping::tiphat:

DevilDog

Dave,

I woke up Saturday morning to some long awaited for, much needed, and very grateful for rain here in Southern AZ. So, I lay in bed debating how I should plan my day. One option was the "High Noon" show, which is a three hour drive. The other option was work. I figured it would be a good day to skip out of my "honey do" list and drive to Mesa and see your work first hand. I made a good choice. I never once thought about my chores while I was admiring your wares. I am glad that you brought the flask to admire and behold. Wow! The TCAA did a great job on their booth and I really liked the idea of the "Emerging Artist" contest.

How was the "Emerging Artist" contest judged? How many judges, and what was the weighting on the different aspects of the overall work? I bought a 2012 TCAA catalog and, I didn't see Mark Dahl listed as an artist not showing or as emeritus status. Do you know his engraving status?

Shawn

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Shawn, glad you decided to come to Mesa and skip the work thing!!! We have compiled a score sheet that is about as objective as we can make it, the top scorer wins.Saddlemakers are judges for their discipline and us lowly silversmiths likewise. Mark is a Mormon Bishop and has been on mission for the church since fall 2011? He plans to reapply after his return home.

Latest posts

Sponsors