Critique Request Elephant:

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
I finished this today. I really don't like to do full frontage depictions. I find them very difficult to do. So please tell me what you think of this one.

Elephant 4.jpg

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
very nice sculpting & detailing. i also really like the contrast of figure and background. a nice visual boost. the background ould really jump out a bit more with a bit or texturing maybe.

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Most of the time I do stipple the background as it hides a lot of the background tool removal marks that I'm too lazy to smooth out. The background was removed to a depth of .017.
This time, as you folks noted, I wanted the subject to stand out soooo, I used stones to smooth out the background. That proved to be very tiresome, laborious, and a real pain in the narrow areas of the background. (Someone needs to invent a reciprocal stone holding device.)

I use common gun blueing to darken the cuts. I also used gun blueing to darken the background. I know it will wear off in time, but will always be dull.

Mike Bissell

Elite Cafe Member
I think it looks very nice !!!! One way you could make it look even more like it is chargeing would be to place one of his feet on the other side of the oval. Like it is stepping out. But as always work it out on paper first.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I don't use stones, probably should have some but most of my work is better stippled. I do a lot of pierced celtic work, mostly cast, so have a lot of small mold lines and flashing to clean. I have adapted several of my needle files to fit into quick change holders, and to be a usable length. With the adjustable speed etc, they do a good job. Bet you could do the same thing with small stones!.
I do think the elephant looks great!

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
I don't use stones, probably should have some but most of my work is better stippled. I do a lot of pierced celtic work, mostly cast, so have a lot of small mold lines and flashing to clean. I have adapted several of my needle files to fit into quick change holders, and to be a usable length. With the adjustable speed etc, they do a good job. Bet you could do the same thing with small stones!.
I do think the elephant looks great!

"Diandwill" that is a sterling idea. You can bet I'll be spending Saturday grinding down some toolmaker files to adapt to my "Classic." Thank You Much.
J.T.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
an even narrower one can be fashioned from diamond dental drills. use jb's trick-- solder them into 3/32" square tubing with a .062 id. i got some xtra brass tubing as well as a gob of diamond drills. even worn out ones the dentists toss out usually have some diamond on the rear part of the drill. if you want, i can send you some.

Sponsors