Elephant themed scrimshaw

Lori Ristinen

Hello everyone!

I have finally gotten around to post a couple images of some scrim I just finished (I waited long enough for my client to see the knife first).

The client and knifemaker is Ed Lary from Wisconsin. He gave me the knife and basically left it up to me to decide what to scrim on the knife. I noticed that there was an elephant carved into the sheath so, of course I figured the knife had to have an elephant theme to it. I scrimmed on both sides of the knife. I apologize for my photography in advance...

Thanks,

Lori
www.LoriRistinen.com

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
So the two on the right are making fun of the earring of the one on the left, but then later one of them decides to get a matching earring?

That's what it looks like to me.

Really nice work!

Oh yeah - obligatory photography tips: Number one friend is your tripod. These shots look really nice but using a tripod will get you there sooner.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is some of the best............

I went to your website, that is some of the best scrimshaw I have ever scene. You're very versatile and you scrim such a wide variety of subjects. You style has the novelty of originality every step of the way.
Your constantly reinventing yourself and growing with your craft. There is nothing cliched about this work.
The only cliche in your work is the consistent quality and originality. Quite refreshing and exciting. I take much vicarious pleasure in viewing such masterpieces. I highly recommend going to Lori's website for inspiration. .

Last edited:

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Hey Steve ... from one that teeters on the brink of insanity daily ... I think yer losin' it buddy!!:p

-----
Now ... regarding this scrim...........

What a fine example of expert artistry Lori. Is there a book that you might recommend for the novice?

This is truly inspiring work!!!!

Chris

Last edited:

Lori Ristinen

Thank you all for your comments! I really appreciate everyone of them - even the "earing story" from Steve!

Chris, when I started out learning to scrim another scrimshander recommended the book "The Second Scrimshaw Connection" by Bob Engnath. It is a really good book and I recommend it as well - if you can find it. I bought a used paperback copy for $50 (well worth it). I did a search for it quite a while back out of curiosity, and found a couple copies for close to $150. It was out of print but I have heard that it is supposed to be printed again. I think there is a list to get on at www.boonetrading.com when it becomes available.

Thanks again everyone!

Lori
www.LoriRistinen.com

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
Lori
The pictures blow me away. I went to your web site and saw the spoons. They was great practice plates. Even they look wonderful.
Rod

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris

C'mon, take the plunge! It's fun over here! :p

Lori

They say every picture tells a story, and you worked the screw heads in so well...

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
Lori,
Your work is very beautiful!!! Monk is right, you do have to post more pictures here!!
When you do your scrimshaw, do you use dots, or very fine lines?
Pappy

Lori Ristinen

Thank you! I will be sure to post more images of my scrim.

Pappy - When I scrim, I usually use a combination of dots and lines. I'll scratch in hair, some grass...basically whatever I feel needs a line. Everything else is stipple (or dots).

Lori
www.LoriRistinen.com

KatherinePlumer

Elite Cafe Member
Beautifully done, I so admire your work! :) Did you find it challenging to work around the screw heads in the knife handle?

-Katherine