Drying time of printers ink?

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
How long should printers ink take to dry? I put some on a ring and 10 days later it would still smudge. I have some Daniel Smith oil based printers ink that someone gave me.
I have heard many people say this is the toughest black you can get but the drying time is a deal breaker. I am thinking of trying alkyd tube oil paint because of it's quick dry time.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
cant answer that question. but, sam and others have good results with plain ole rustoleum black.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Jim,Printers ink drys better on paper,go with the rustoleum black monk is right.J.J.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
I have a ring that has a blackened background. When the black faded and disappeared after a year or so I took it beck to a jewler who re-blacked it again. I did that twice more. Someone on here suggested Rustoleum Black and I applied it. It's been several years now and it's still black.
My suggestion...get rustolium paint. It works!!!

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yep Speedball oil based block printing ink #3550.:cheers2[1]: dries in 3 or so hours here in the high desert have to scrub with laquer thinner to remove it after is is dry
Thanks to Mr John B

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the tips. Because jewelry is worn hard I usually stay away from black or anything potentially impermanent so I don't have to deal with a disappointed client later on. I'll try the Speedball ink, I must have slowball right now.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Before I switched over to Rustoleum Flat Black, I used etching ink and "cured" it with a heat gun for a couple of minutes. I still prefer the paint better but the etching inks will work.

Sponsors