Critique Request Drawing critique. Learning fur

Rannis

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
So. I’ve done some study and practiced and made a best effort attempt at drawing the base of my GSD’s ear. I figure that the fur in this area has many different directions, textures and colors so it would be a good focal point to practice.
I know this is more enlarged and detailed than engraving may ever entail but I figure a good understanding of realism would aid in an eye for esthetics and anatomy.
please offer any tips or feedback that will help me on this journey.
V/R Dale

Attachments

• IMG_1636.jpeg
    IMG_1636.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1634.jpeg
    IMG_1634.jpeg
    168.7 KB · Views: 84

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Nice looking Shepherd.
look more closely at the area behind lower part of the ear, shading should be more definitive. For learning to draw you need to learn to measure so proportions come out correctly. A good method for learning is the “grid method “ whereas you overlay the drawing with a series of squares Of equal size. This enables you to closely draw one square at a time instead of looking at the whole image. Search out grid method you’ll understand better. You’ll want decent pencils too.

Rannis

Thanks, for both the compliment and pointers. She is a Daddy's girl.
I was struggling in that area, her fur is more blended colorwise than I captured. By good pencils?
Im using a .5mm mechanical, is there something else you reccomend?

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks, for both the compliment and pointers. She is a Daddy's girl.
I was struggling in that area, her fur is more blended colorwise than I captured. By good pencils?
Im using a .5mm mechanical, is there something else you reccomend?
What grade lead? 2h, HB, 2b, 3b. Higher #’s in B allow for darker tones essential for graphite work imo. if ya got an art/ craft store near they can help ya I recommend regular pencils unless you want to fiddle around buy & changing different leads for your mechanical

Rannis

We have a Hobby Lobby not too far away from us, they have a large selection of art/drawing supplies Ill check there.
I have a question, Im not off base by thinking that drawing, specifically realism and animals will help with my engraving designs?
I know you do quite alot of both.
Im not in a position to get formal training and must muck along with practice and help from the generosity of the folks here.
My youngest has had some training and has actually helped me some.
Just curious. Im waitng on my palm control so this is the only real practice I can do right now.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
We have a Hobby Lobby not too far away from us, they have a large selection of art/drawing supplies Ill check there.
I have a question, Im not off base by thinking that drawing, specifically realism and animals will help with my engraving designs?
I know you do quite alot of both.
Im not in a position to get formal training and must muck along with practice and help from the generosity of the folks here.
My youngest has had some training and has actually helped me some.
Just curious. Im waitng on my palm control so this is the only real practice I can do right now.
Drawing is the basis for just about any art I can think of.
almost all children start out Drawing, finger paint, clay , whatever.
a few of us it’s part of our lives, most adults fall away from it , art.

Latest posts

Sponsors